Jobs in Lima, OH
- 123,323 Resumes
- 2,434 Jobs Available
- 38,265 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
The setting of the popular musical television show Glee and the place of publication for almost countless novels and other works, Lima, OH has a defined cultural space which speaks to people of many walks of life. The city offers residents limitless opportunities for both work and play. Regardless of the amount of culture and enjoyment that this beautiful area provides, those looking for jobs in Lima, OH should first take a moment to learn about the area’s job market, career prospects and average rate of pay.
At a glance, it is evident that there are many available jobs in Lima, OH, with a wide variety that insures that people from all walks of life can find their professional niche. Compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent, statistics taken from a nearby area comparable to Lima estimate the local unemployment rates to stand at 4.5 percent, a figure which is reassuring for those looking for work. The bulk of available jobs lie in the education and health services (which has produced a 1.2 percent increase in jobs over the past year), trade, transportation and utilities, government, professional and business services (which has experienced a .4 percent decline since 2014) and manufacturing industries. Among these industries, fast food and food prep workers, registered nurses, retail salespersons and cashiers claim the largest number of available jobs. Figures taken from the area surrounding Lima suggest that the average weekly wage earned by residents to be $846, which is a great deal less than the national mean weekly income of $1,048.
A resume can open many doors for an individual seeking a job. However, a poorly-written resume can also erase the same opportunities. Therefore, creating this document in the proper way is absolutely imperative to anyone looking for a job in the area. Here are some things to remember when forming your resume:
1. Check your grammar and punctuation closely, or have someone proofread the resume for you. Grammatical errors in a resume can be catastrophic.
2. List your previous employment in reverse chronological order. This will ensure that the most recent and relevant information may be seen first at a glance.
3. Do not list references directly on the resume. This takes up valuable space, and normally an employer will ask for references later on in the hiring process if they are needed.
4. Ensure that contact information is not only present, but is also appropriate. All email addresses and voicemails an employer might encounter should sound professional.
5. Use a new format or a bit of color in order to make your resume stand out in the stack.
Like anywhere else in the United States, finding jobs in Lima, OH can be a bit of a challenge. When searching for jobs, there are several things any individual can do in order to help make the hunt a more successful and less stressful event. Here are a few things to keep in mind when looking for your ideal job in the Lima area.
1. No one should ever underestimate the power of networking. In the current economy, online contacts are as important as face-to-face ones.
2. Know your options when you’re beginning. Whether searching for an identical position to your previous one or delving into a new field entirely, knowing where you stand can help to manage expectations during the job hunt.
3. Follow up any and all job leads. Unless you’ve received a concrete “no” from a potential employer, there is always a chance you could claim the position in question.
4. Attend job fairs or other events geared towards placing people in jobs. Sometimes this little initiative can go a long way.
5. Prepare yourself for a long search. Take care of immediate financial needs if possible through available unemployment benefits or other means.