Jobs in Lafayette, CA
- 391,540 Resumes
- 4,069 Jobs Available
- 25,473 Population
- $75,000 Average Salary
Nestled amidst the San Francisco Bay Area and the Berkeley Hills, Lafayette has much to offer those who call the area home. This city is home to many opportunities for those seeking work or amusement, and is conveniently close to a larger metropolitan area for those looking for the easy access for all the amenities available there. However, those looking for jobs in Lafayette should first take a moment to educate themselves on the local job market, viable career prospects for any skill set, and the average pay that can be expected from various positions to be found in the area. The following information can help anyone gain a great understandings of the basics before entering into the search.
Overall, the job market in Lafayette has a great availability of jobs across several different fields, ensuring that residents of all skillsets should be able to find employment in this area. In November 2015, the unemployment rate in this city was estimated to stand at 4.5 percent, which is an improvement when compared to the current national average unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. Additionally, the pay for these jobs may be considered exceptional compared to the rest of the country. The weekly mean pay in this area is estimated to stand at $1,199 or less, which has the potential to stand slightly above the national average weekly income of $1,048. The industries which provide the vast majority if the jobs in Lafayette are the professional and business services (which grew by 5.2 percent in job availability in 2015), trade, transportation and utilities, education and health services, government, and leisure and hospitality industries. Among these categories, retail salespersons, cashiers, office clerks, general and operations managers and waitresses and waiters make up the most populated jobs in Lafayette.
Regardless of experience, education or many other qualifications taken into account by potential employers, perhaps the most imperative part of entering into the application process is the creation of an exceptional resume. When looking for jobs in Lafayette, there are a few things to keep in mind when formulating a resume.
1. Always be sure to consistently check grammar and mechanics. Mistakes in these areas can lead employers to think an applicant is lazy or simply sloppy.
2. Using a splash of color or a unique layout can help anyone’s resume stand out from the others in the stack, something that is important during this process.
3. Include professional and appropriate contact information, including email addresses and voicemail messages.
4. Ideally, a resume should be 1-2 pages long, with 2 pages reserved for those with extensive experience in the field.
5. Do not include references directly on the resume, as it takes up valuable space. If references are required, employers will normally approach an applicant about it later on.
As is the case when searching for employment in any city across the United States, hunting for jobs in Lafayette can be a bit of a challenge for the average applicant. Thankfully, there are several tips which anyone can follow in order to make the search more productive and less stressful.
1. Be sure to check for jobs in every nook and cranny. Open positions in small businesses are oftentimes overlooked simply due to lack of exposure.
2. Attend local job fairs whenever they are available. This can help one get a better understanding of the local job market as well as open many new doors.
3. Build an excellent and professional resume to give potential employers when submitting applications. This can leave a very good impression.
4. Take advantage of classes which are aimed towards improving an applicant’s interviewing skills, as well as assist them with developing a resume and job-hunting habits.
5. Have a plan when entering into a job search. Structured hunts usually yield better results than those approached without a plan.