Jobs in La Mesa, CA
- 259 Resumes
- 17,003 Jobs Available
- 59,177 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
La Mesa, CA is a bustling metropolis located just 9 miles east of Downtown San Diego. The city’s motto is “The Jewel of the Hills,” referencing its pleasant weather, charming downtown area, and picturesque tree-lined streets. However, for those looking for jobs in La Mesa, CA, the city has more going for it than its outward features. Read on to find out what the local economy has to offer you in terms of job opportunities and your prospective salary.
San Diego County, where the city of La Mesa resides, boasts the fastest-growing job market in all of Southern California. Its unemployment rate sits at 4.8 percent, below the national average of 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the professional and business services sector employ more people than any other, followed closely by the government sector. The trade, transportation, and utilities industry comes in third, trailed by education and health services as fourth and hospitality as fifth. Although the education and health services sector comes in at fourth, it is expanding more rapidly than any other sector. It grew by 4.9 percent in the last year, beating out even the top industry’s growth of 4.4 percent. In San Diego, the two largest occupations are retail salespersons and cashiers. Compared to the U.S. average weekly pay of $1,048, the areas of San Diego County make a bit more, averaging out to $1,130 per week.
An outstanding resume is crucial to landing a job interview, no matter what part of the United States you are job hunting in. There are certain rules to writing a resume that apply no matter what job you are looking for or what experience you have. Follow these simple rules to help your resume shine.
1. Do use bullet points. Bullet points are an easy way for prospective employers to quickly glance over your resume and still glean the pertinent information.
2. Do keep your resume one to two pages long.
3. Do consider a unique resume design. You want your resume to stand out, so using a Microsoft Word template isn’t always the best plan.
4. Don’t lie on your resume.
5. Don’t include irrelevant information. Fill the resume only with information applicable to the job.
As with any city, landing one of the jobs in La Mesa, CA will be helped by taking the appropriate action. Follow these 5 steps to aid in your job search.
1. Prepare yourself for a long search. If you’re not expecting the perfect job to land in your lap right away, then you are less likely to be disappointed.
2. Stay positive during your search. As aforementioned, finding the right job might take some time, but don’t let it get you down. If you stay positive and keep pursuing each job lead, you are more likely to land a job than if you get discouraged and let your fears take the reins.
3. Talk to as many people as you can. Keeping a good working relationship with other professionals is a wise move. If you ask them to keep their ear to the ground for you, your net will be cast further and you will be more likely to find a suitable job.
4. Follow up on your applications. Most employers are impressed by applicants who take the initiative, and one simple phone call could be enough to land you an interview.
5. Keep a positive online presence. These days, many employers scan a prospective employee’s social media accounts. This means you should maintain a professional profile online and be careful of posting objectionable content on your social media feeds.