Jobs in Kearny, NJ
- 87,451 Resumes
- 68,632 Jobs Available
- 41,837 Population
- $78,000 Average Salary
In Hudson County sits Kearny, New Jersey, a suburb of Newark. The Newark Liberty International Airport is only 6.5 miles away from Kearny. While this type of information is interesting, as you search for jobs in Kearny it really isn’t helpful. Instead you need to gather preliminary data about the job market, local job search and salary statistics.
The job market in Kearny is comparable to the rest of the United States as can be deduced from the similar unemployment rates. The national average unemployment rate is 5.3 percent and in Hudson County it is 4.9 percent. The top performing industries in the area are education and health services, leisure and hospitality, government, information and manufacturing. These industries have grown an average of 2.1 percent over the past year. The largest occupations are retail salesperson, cashier, janitor and office clerk. The average weekly salary in Hudson County is $1,548, which is significantly higher than the national average of $1,048.
Your resume is an important part of your job search. Use these tips to create a professional-looking document:
1. Tailor the content and the order of your sections to the employer in question.
2. Try to include metrics and accomplishments throughout your resume to show what you’re capable of.
3. Give your entire resume a precise focus, so you can draw the potential employers in even if they are only skimming the document.
4. Avoid sharing information that could be deemed too personal or controversial.
5. Focus on the reader by using bullet points, headers, white space and left flushed text to ensure optimal readability.
Finding jobs in Kearny, and the rest of the county, can be a difficult and trying process. If you take the right sort of actions throughout the search, it can be easier. Use these tips to help in your search:
1. Make some sort of plan first. Before you jump right in to the job search, you should make a plan. Figure out what type of position you are looking for. Do some research on different companies to find out who you want to work for. Make an organizational strategy. This preparation will help the search go smoothly.
2. Make communication your first priority. As you find companies and positions that you’re interested in, you should make contact before you send in your resume. Find an employee in the company that you know or have some sort of connection with through your network. Let them know that you admire the company, and want them to pass your resume along to the hiring manager. Sending your resume from within will increase the likelihood of it going to the hiring manager.
3. Take the search into your own hands. While you can turn to your network for a lot of help, you have to remember that the search is your own. You have to be the one to reach out to your network to see what they know. You have to look at online job posting sites, on company websites, in newspapers, at career centers and at job fairs.
4. Make goals. Obviously your main goal is to find jobs in Kearny, but you should make daily or weekly goals too. The entire search can take a long time, and it can make you start feeling less determined and motivated. If you make goals and accomplish them, it is more likely that you will feel better about the search process.
5. Don’t be afraid to get in contact with companies that don’t have a position available. Sometimes you have to make cold-contact with companies. Let them know what you can do for their company. They may not have something available that second, but they might think of you in the future. Also, this type of communication can lead to a new position being created.