Jobs in Kalamazoo, MI
- 470 Resumes
- 6,432 Jobs Available
- 75,922 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
Kalamazoo, Michigan is a moderate-sized town with big city appeal. With just over 75,000 people, it is considered a major city in its metropolitan area. Kalamazoo is known for its festivals. They host many festivals throughout the year in arts, culture, crafts, life theater, concerts and wine.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, there unemployment rate in Kalamazoo is only 3.9. The civilian labor force is at 164.8, meaning that there are plenty of jobs available for people who are willing to work and don’t have a higher education. Some of the job that are constantly in need are professional services, education, health, hospitality and transportation.
Take extra care while writing your resume for your job search in Baytown. Make sure you know these great resume writing tips so you can catch the eye of the hiring managers.
1. Begin your resume with a strong professional summary. This is what pulls in the hiring manager and tells them if you are possibly a good fit, or if they can just toss your resume to the side. It needs to state your title, how much experience you can have, and sum up your qualifications in about five sentences.
2. Don’t write your resume in first person. Your resume should never refer to yourself as “I”. The manager knows who the resume is about. Just use action verbs to start your sentences.
3. List your skills below your professional summary. Your skills should show the hiring manager that you can do the job easily. Mention things like an ability to work without supervision, learning quickly and working well with other people. You can list some skills that are specific to the job and some that are about your work ethic in general.
4. Make sure your previous employment is listed on your resume. The general rule is usually about seven years worth, if you have it. If you don’t have that much, then you want to list all of it. It should begin with your current or most recent job and work backward.
5. Never refer to yourself in first person on your resume. Obviously, your resume is about you. Just start your sentences with action words to sound authoritative.
Finding a job in Kalamazoo is not difficult. You just need to work hard and keep your eyes out for the job that you love. If you are worried about finding the job your really want, here are some great tips that you can follow.
1. Utilize social media. Linkedin is a great professional site where you can network with businesses and the professionals who run them. The companies often put links on their Linkedin profile to apply for jobs right online. You can also upload your resume and send it electronically.
2. Get creative with your resources. If you’re having trouble finding the type of job that you’re looking for, go to a temp agency for help. This can not only land you a temporary job quickly, but you could end up with a permanent position. Some companies bring in temporary employees and then pick the ones who work well to stay.
3. Follow up on your applications and resumes. A few days after turning them in, call the companies that you applied with and inquire about the hiring process. Let them know that you applied and you want to know if they have had a chance to look over your resume yet. They might pull it right there and schedule an interview with you.
4. Look professional at all times. Don’t go pick up the applications wearing sweatpants and a shirt covered in stains. Even if you are just picking up or dropping off paperwork, dress nice. Your impression matters and they are going to call people back who dressed to impress.
5. Know what the companies are all about before going to interviews. They are going to expect you to know at least the most basic information about the company you applied with. If they think you don’t care, you will be passed up for someone who is more enthusiastic.