Copy Writer & Search Engine Optimization
Silencer Shop is looking for a spirited and seasoned technical writer to join ou...
Technical Writer (Information Technology) 2021-F-33
Technical Writer (Information Technology) Job Location(s): US-ID-Pocatello Type ...
Technical Engineering Writer
Job Title: Technical Engineering Writer Department: Technical Publications ...
Web Content Writer (Bilingual)
Bilingual WebContentWriter 100% Remote 6-month contract-to-hire Seeking Bilingu...
Job Title: Reserve Assignment Coordinator Job Location: Coronado, CA. Salar...
Technical Proposal Writer Consultant
Power3 Solutions hires highly skilled Consultants to provide guidance and suppor...
Staff Writer (News), NME
This is a junior role that will work on day-to-day editorial operations on NMEs ...
Product Technical Writer
We're building a thriving culture of passionate innovators (like you) who seek t...
SECRET clearance (not required at application; however, requiredbeforestart date...
Technical Writer - Level 1 (Ts/Sci, FS Poly)
The Kenjya-Trusant Group is seeking a Technical Writer to provide Cross Domain S...
More about writer jobs
Writers are primarily responsible for producing content in form of blogs, articles, news pieces, press releases, social media posts, and website text. They work in different industries, firms, and sectors to perform various writing tasks. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States, employment for writers and authors is expected to grow by 9 percent from 2020 to 2030.Some Roles and Responsibilities of a Writer
A writer may have to fit in different roles within a department, sector, or industry. You can get into more specific and specialized roles as you gain advanced educational qualifications in the field. With experience, these professionals can work as senior writers, technical writers, content writers, and content strategists. The typical job responsibilities of writers include:
- Decide topic/subject for a writing piece that interests readers
- Write for different platforms and in various formats
- Conduct in-depth research to get information, data, and details for content
- Proofread and edit written copies/articles/blogs/website content
- Produce content as per industry standards and latest trends
- Work collaboratively with specialists to determine useful ways for SEO and SMO
The highest-paying cities in the United States for writers are New York, Charlotte, Fort Lee, Las Vegas, San Diego, Chicago, and Washington. The salary of writers differs depending upon their specialization, educational background, and experience, like:
- An entry-level writer with 1 to 4 years of experience may make somewhere between $41,000 to $49,000 per year.
- Professionals with mid-level experience or 5 to 9 years of experience in the field can earn an average annual income of about $55,000
- With more than 10 years of experience in handling complex responsibilities and different tasks, the senior-level writers get an average annum income between $66,000 to $68,000.
These professionals are required to hold formal education in the field to advance their careers as writers. Along with educational qualifications, writers may also need to possess various technical, soft, and personal skills.Educational Qualifications
Writers may require a Bachelor’s in Journalism or a Bachelor’s in Communication Studies to begin their career in the field. For more complex roles, you may also opt for a two-year Master’s in English or any relevant field. Some job profiles and employers may require you to know fields like search engine optimization (SEO) and social media. You can also get a certification from American Grant Writers’ Association (AGWA) to grow your career.Important Skills
These professionals must possess a great balance of various soft, personal, and technical skills like the following:
- Creativity: to develop and design intriguing content for different platforms
- Adaptability: to be able to work according to the latest trends and updates software like Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Writing skills: the most crucial of all as they help in conveying emotions and feeling to readers or audiences
- Determination: must showcase the drive and perseverance to complete the given task
- Language skills: must possess an excellent command over the language to deliver the right message through different content formats
The most important step for getting your dream job is to nail a job interview; thus, you need to be prepared for it beforehand. You are required to carry a strong and unique personality to a job interview to have a strong first impression among the interviewer(s). Here are a few tips that can help you crack the job interview and get a job as a writer:
- Get your basics right – make sure you are well-equipped with information related to your field or the job title you are applying for
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Know everything about the company, firm, or organization you are applying to work for – this includes information related to their blog posts, social media platforms, and website
- Showcase your writing pieces and experience
Additional Tip: Irrespective of the job profile, prepare an easy-to-access portfolio, a website one will be beneficial, to demonstrate examples or snippets of your work in the field. This helps employers and interviewers to have a glance at your work.
What companies are offering writer Jobs?
What are the top locations offering writer Jobs?
What are the other job titles similar to writer?
How many jobs are there for writer?