computer science jobs
Teaching Faculty Positions In Computer Science
Department Information Colorado School of Mines, Colorado's oldest public unive...
Tk-8 Computer Science Teacher (2 Locations)
About Caliber Public Schools Caliber's Mission is to achieve educational equity...
Computer Science (Grade: 9-12) Base Calendar
The Dallas ISD Board of Trustees on Jan. 28 adopted three calendars for the next...
Visiting Instructor Of Computer Science & Robotics
Job Description Summary The successful candidate will teach a variety of core c...
Assistant Professor Of Computer Science
Bethune-Cookman University College of Science, Engineering and Mathematics Pos...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Department Of Computer Science
Lecturer in Computer Science Department College of Science & Mathematics Depar...
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Description Develops, coordinates, and instructs computer courses. Examples of...
Computer Science Teacher
Are you an educator seeking a position that provides cutting-edge educational ex...
Computer Science Teacher (Ct)
Who We Are Excellence Community Schools (ECS) is a Charter Management Organizati...
Computer Science Specialist, Teacher - (Ny)
Who We Are:Excellence Community Schools is a charter management, non-profit orga...
More about computer science jobs
There has been an approximate growth of 11% in computer and IT occupations from the year 2019 to 2029. The job opportunities are dependent on the degree an applicant is pursuing. Those enrolled in associate degrees can look for career options like web developers or computer support specialists. Those pursuing a bachelor’s degree have options such as software development and computer programming available for them. One needs to have refined problem-solving, computer programming, and analytical skills when entering the industry.Some Popular Computer Science Job Profiles
There are several computer science job opportunities to pursue and depends on the qualification or specialization you possess. Some of the most popular job profiles are:
- Software Developer: This role emphasizes producing software programs for users which help them in performing tasks either using a mobile or a computer. A developer holds responsibility for developing, testing, and maintaining the software.
- Computer Hardware Engineer: The hardware engineer is expected to design, develop and test computer components like routers, memory devices, and circuit boards.
- Web Developer: The focus of a web developer is on assessing the information-based resource requirement of the users. He/she creates a technical system for websites and ensures that the web pages are easily accessible from diverse interfaces and browsers.
- Computer Research Scientists: A research scientist is responsible for inventing technology that helps resolve complicated issues in fields like medicine, science, and business. They also find innovative ways to use the existing technology for problem-solving.
The job prospects are infinite. There are options like Information Security Analyst, Computer Network Architect, and Computer System Analyst.Estimated Salaries of different Computer Science Job Prospects
The average annual salary of varied computer and IT jobs is approximately $88,000 in May 2019. The salary can differ based on the job title you choose. Some highly paid IT jobs are:
- Information Security Analyst: An estimated annual salary for the security analyst is $99,000. They secure the computer networks of organizations.
- Software developer: A polished software developer can earn up to 107,000 (approx.) per year. He needs to design and develop new computer applications.
- Database Administrator: The profile holder is responsible for storing, organizing, presenting, analyzing, and using the data and the management software. He/she can earn a median annual salary of approximately $93,000.
- Computer and Information Research Scientist: The job role offers an annual median salary of $122,800 (approximately). The personnel is responsible for creating new technology to solve organizational problems.
To establish a career in computer science, one needs to major in discrete mathematics, database designing, and programming languages. Following are some educational qualifications and skills the recruiters look for:Educational Qualifications:
The qualifications required can vary based on the job profile one applies for. For instance, an associate degree is suitable for entry-level roles like web developer or computer support specialist. A bachelor’s degree in computer science can seek one job role like computer programmer, software developer, information security analyst, and computer system administrator. To advance on the career path one can also pursue a master’s degree and Ph.D. Besides this, one can also pursue additional diplomas and certifications to expand the career.Technical Skills:
- Data Analysis
- Software Development
- Middleware and Software Integration
- Algorithm Design
- Storage Systems and Management
- Web Architecture and Development
- Network Information Security
- Data Mining and Statistical Analysis
- User Interface Design
- Cloud and Distributed Computing
- Critical thinking
- Problem-solving Skills
- Communication Skills
- Team spirit
- Time Management
When appearing for an interview, make sure you emphasize industry-centric points. For example:
- Emphasize skills: The recruiters want to know your computing potentials. During the interview, focus more on projects where you have used industry-specific tools.
- Be genuine about skills: Avoid exaggeration of skills and explain to the interviewer how you plan to grow and learn new skills significant to the computer science job role you apply for.
- Mention any personal projects you have been working on. This helps in showcasing your technical skills and brings forth your work.
- When asked to present the portfolio, use this opportunity to display the best freelance works, the websites you have developed and the project pages you have created. It would be preferable to provide browsable codes.
- Stay confident and spontaneous throughout the interview.