Job Action Day 2013 -- November 4th -- is all about empowering military personnel and veterans transitioning to civilian jobs and careers.
Job Action Day is a day for all job-seekers and workers to take stock of their situations and make plans and/or take action steps to improve their careers.
Roughly a quarter million people leave active duty military service each year -- and begin making the transition to the civilian workforce. Some of these folks know exactly what they want to do next in their careers, while other have no clue -- and no clue how to go about making the transition. Many struggle with understanding what employers want... and employers struggle to understand how each vet's military service applies to the experience the employer requires for job openings.
Furthermore, a study from 2012 found that more than two-thirds (69 percent) of Veterans reported finding a job as the greatest challenge in transitioning to civilian life. In addition, 60 percent of Veterans reported that their most significant challenge is explaining how their military experience translates to skills of interest to a civilian employer. Finally, about half of veterans (46 percent) stressed about the challenge of competing with candidates who have been in the workforce longer... and almost the same number (43 percent) worried about a lack of education for specific roles in the civilian workforce. [Research conducted by Prudential Financial, Inc., with the support of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA).]
The focus of Job Action Day 2013 is to provide a wide variety of advice, tools, and resources -- for all types and ranks of transitioning military -- to help sharpen career focus, strengthen resume development, and bolster job-hunting techniques... resulting in better job offers, and a smoother transition.
Job Action Day 2013, the sixth-annual initiative spearheaded by Quintessential Careers, includes expert and empowering articles, tips, and blog posts that give transitioning military-to-civilian job-seekers information, ideas, and concrete steps that you can take to make your transition successful.
Job Action Day 2013 Expert Articles:
Military-to-Civilian Transition: The Big Picture
- How To Successfully Transition from Military to Civilian: A Guide For Veterans and Former Military Personnel, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Surviving Your Military-to-Civilian Career Transition: Critical Transitioning Do's and Don'ts, by Janet Farley
- Work and Thrive After Military Service: 5 Steps To a Smoother Military-To-Civilian Transition, by Nancy J. Miller
- The 5 Key Steps to Successful Career Transition, by Deborah Shane
Military-To-Civilian Transition Preparedness Quiz
- Are You Ready to Transition from Military to Civilian? A Quintessential Careers Job-Search Preparedness Assessment, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Military-to-Civilian Transition Book Excerpts
- Quick Military Transition Guide: Steps to Adjusting to Civilian Life, Managing Job Search, by Janet Farley
- Transitioning Military: Build Your Career Brand, Get Hired, by Patricia Dorch
- Managing Expectations When Making Career Transitions, by Kevin Richard McNulty
Military-to-Civilian Transition Stories
- A Transitioning Veteran's Dilemma: What do I Have to Offer?, by Rick Gillis
- Using Your Wealth of Military Experience for a Successful Transition to Civilian Employment, by Jessica Holbrook Hernandez
- A Soldier's Transition Story, Part I: A Strategic Approach to the Civilian Job Search, by Lea McLeod
- A Soldier's Transition Story, Part II: 8 Transition Challenges Relating to How Military Service and Civilian Work Differ, by Lea McLeod
- An Inside Look: Going from Active Duty to Corporate Life, by Karl Beeman
Military-to-Civilian Transition Tips
- A Marine's Tips on Transitioning from Military Service to the Private Sector, by Michael Bilello
- Career Experts Speak: Best Advice for Veterans Looking to Successfully Transition from Military Service to Civilian Workforce, compiled by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Military-to-Civilian Transition Resumes
- Crafting Killer Veteran Resumes for Civilian Employment, by Russ Hovendick
- Do's and Don'ts for How to Create Your Military-to-Civilian Transition Resume, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Resume Samples for Former Military in Transition to Civilian Employment
Military-to-Civilian Transition Networking, Skills Identification/Translation, and Working with Recruiters
- Network to Transition from a Military Career to a New Career, by Debra Wheatman
- Translate Your Military Skills into Civilian Language in 6 Easy Steps, by Carl Savino
- Recruiters Can Be Key Resource for Transitioning Veterans, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Do's and Don'ts for Vets in Selecting Right Placement Firm to Assist in Your Job-Search Success, by Tom Wolfe
Military-to-Civilian Transition Entrepreneurship
- Vet-to-Vet Advice for Veterans Considering Starting Their Own Businesses, compiled by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Vet-to-Vet Advice for Veterans Considering Buying into a Franchise, compiled by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Military-to-Civilian Transition Resources
- For Transitioning Vets: Go to RallyPoint and Unite Us, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Military-to-Civilian Transition for Employers
- How and Why Employers Should Hire Military Veterans, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Career Experts and Bloggers Participating in Job Action Day 2013
Job Action Day Contributors
- Randall Hansen. CEO & Founder, Quintessential Careers. Kettle Falls, WA.
- Deborah Shane. DeborahSHane.com. Tampa, FL.
- Debra Wheatman. CareersDoneWrite. New York.
- Tom Wolfe. Author, Out of Uniform: Your Guide to a Successful Military-to-Civilian Career Transition. Fayetteville, NC.
- Carl Savino. President, Corporate Gray; author, Military-to-Civilian Transition Guide: A Career Transition Guide for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, Coast Guard Personnel, Veterans. Washington, DC.
- Louise Kursmark. Best Impression Career Services, Inc. Boston, MA.
- Janet Farley. Author, Quick Military Transition Guide: Seven Steps to Landing a Civilian Job.
- Jessica Hernandez. Great Resumes Fast. Jacksonville, FL.
- Rick Gillis. The Really Useful Job Company. Houston, TX.
- Nancy J. Miller. Creative Life Work Design. Sacramento, CA.
- Patricia Dorch. ExecuDress; author, Military to Civilian Transition. Moreno Valley, CA
- Michael Bilello. CEO, Centurion Strategies. Tampa, FL.
- Lea McLeod, M.A. Founder, Degrees of Transition LLC. Portland, OR.
- Miriam Salpeter. Founder, Keppie Careers. Atlanta, GA.
- Kevin Richard McNulty. Founder & CEO, Humadyn-Life Skills Institute; author, The Gap Between Two Worlds: Turning Difficult Life Transitions into Personal Growth Experiences. Nashville, TN.
- Russ Hovendick. Founder, Directional Motivation; author, Deployment to Employment: A Guide for Military Veterans Transitioning to Civilian Employment. Sioux Falls, SD.
- C.J. Johnson. Transition & Exit Strategist/Published Professional Resume Writer/Life and Career Coach for the United States Coast Guard. Base Alameda (CA).
Job Action Day Bloggers
- Wendy Terwelp. Rock Your Career.
- Jason Alba. JibberJobber.
- Janet Farley. Life's Too Short to Hate Your Job
- Hannah Morgan. Career Sherpa
- Miriam Salpeter. Keppie Careers
- Susan Guarneri. Career Assessment Goddess
Job Action Day was established by Quintessential Careers, the Web's leading career site, as an annual event that brings together career experts and bloggers to provide the most relevant advice to job-seekers and workers.