Use this professional created Veterinary Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A veterinary assistant is responsible for helping with day-to-day activities in a veterinarian’s office, including feeding, bathing and exercising patients; cleaning and disinfecting cages and operating rooms; keeping patients calm during exams; and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment. Other duties include monitoring animals after surgery, providing emergency first aid, administering medication, and collecting blood, urine and tissue samples.
Your office’s job description should detail whether an applicant must have already had training or if a high school diploma is sufficient. It should also detail whether certification is required or preferred.
Your veterinary assistant job description must indicate which skills are most important. Examples include being detail-oriented, being strong enough to handle large dogs or farm animals, and having empathy for the animals as well as their owners.
Veterinary Assistant Job Description Template
If you are someone who loves animals, it’s time to put your passion to work and help animals and their owners who care for them. Our company is currently recruiting for new veterinary assistants to join our amazing team of veterinarians and office staff. This position is perfect if you are looking for a job where each day is unique and rewarding, sometimes with furry kisses and snuggles from our feline and canine patients. You can help make a difference in many animals’ lives by giving their owners the knowledge and power needed to maintain a pet’s ideal health. The perfect candidate should be committed to forming a partnership between our organization and pet owners in the community.
- Team up with the practicing veterinarian before, during and after examinations to help deliver top-quality and streamlined medical care to pets.
- Discuss concerns and progress about pets with the owner at appointments and offer advice about feeding, behavior or wellness after listening to feedback.
- Restrain animals safely with muzzles, gloves or cat bags during medical procedures such as venipuncture, catheter placement and radiography.
- Sanitize examination rooms, cages, kennels and surgical rooms in between patients in to reduce possible spread of disease and bacteria.
- Care for animal patients by providing fresh water and food, taking dogs for walks around the property and spending time to talk quietly to reassure nervous pets during visits.
- Restock supplies for examination rooms each day and products for the front lobby available for purchase, like pet food, treats and other items that promote wellness.
- Provide support during euthanasia procedures to the veterinarian, other staff members and to the client in any way that is required.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Strong communication skills with customers and other staff members
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Excellent attention to detail
- Completion of a veterinary assistant certificate program
- Experience in customer service or a related field