Use this professional created Field Technician job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Field technicians in the telecommunications industry perform the installation of hardware and software for telecommunications products. They also activate networks and assemble any equipment prior to installation. It is common that they may also lay wire as part of their job. They also troubleshoot products, run diagnostic tests and perform repairs.
When you write your field technician job description, it is important that you include some key skills and traits. These include strong communication skills and time management. It is common for field technicians to be keen problem-solvers as well.
Your job description also should include some information about the experience and education expected of candidates. Generally, field technicians have completed some college coursework or a certificate program.
Field Technician Job Description Template
Are you a self-starter who is looking for a unique opportunity to work in a challenging yet stimulating environment? We are seeking new field technicians to join our operations teams all over the country. As a field technician, you would be helping our customers discover all the capabilities of our product lineup and representing our organization in a positive and exciting way. Your role would also be to solve any type of technical problem that may come up during your service calls, and you could finally give some customers the answers they need. If you have top technical skills and an amazing ability to relate to each customer’s issue, you could find great success in this position.
- Install new equipment components, including hardware and software, at a customer’s home or place of business by laying down wire, assembling telecommunication products or activating networks.
- Evaluate equipment performance by running diagnostic tests on and observing wire connections, power supplies, network links and computer equipment.
- Work to resolve customer problems by communicating with clients, reviewing proper procedures and relying on prior knowledge, experience and background with technology.
- Maintain a dialogue with supervisors or other staff members in support center if customer problem is not able to be fixed immediately.
- Teach customers how to properly begin using different product features or equipment and advise them on various best practices with their home or office setup.
- Access wiring or other communication equipment that is hard to reach by climbing to elevated surfaces, searching for access boxes or entering through manhole covers.
- Keep a clean work environment by organizing all materials and tools neatly in the work truck and collecting any debris or unused wiring at a customer’s site after each job is finished.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Some college coursework or completion of a post-secondary certificate
- A valid driver’s license with a reliable vehicle
- 2 years of field experience
- Ability to keep to a tight schedule and make all deadlines
- Strength in troubleshooting and going above and beyond
- Comfort in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments