Use this professional created Network Engineer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Network engineers are responsible for designing and building data communication networks. They build wide area networks (WANS), local area networks (LANS), and intranets. They may also work with cloud infrastructure. They typically work alongside an organization’s chief technology officer and computer hardware engineers.
Most network engineers have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or information systems. They also tend to have work experience in a relevant occupation, such as computer systems administrators.
A good network engineer job description stresses the importance of strong analytical skills because of the examination of network data. This position often involves leading a team of computer engineers, making leadership skills an important quality for an applicant to have.
Network Engineer Job Description Template
Are you searching for a challenging yet welcoming tech environment to stretch your engineer skills in? If so, then we might be looking for you, too! We serve on the frontlines of the tech industry, and our network engineers are the masterminds behind it all. In this position, you can expect to tackle issues relating to software, hardware and programming, all while providing our clients with the exemplary support and care they trust us for. You can boost our team and benefit from having a solutions-oriented group of professionals behind you. If you want to be a part of tech’s next big movement, consider joining our team as a network engineer.
- Address anomalies and errors in the network by investigating, gathering data and developing an adequate solution to the problem at hand.
- Analyze network performance on a daily basis by testing speed and connectivity to identify any vulnerabilities or issues that may be in need of service.
- Consult with colleagues in and out of your department to maximize network efficiency and effectiveness through collaborative work.
- Develop protocol for handling system issues, downtime, errors and other service lapses so that client care is not interrupted and uptime can be maximized.
- Troubleshoot problems the clients encounter by walking them through appropriate steps and providing support through to resolution.
- Manage policies and procedures relating to the upkeep and performance of all parts of the network, including hardware and software.
- Configure network setup to accommodate clients’ unique needs and perform all necessary functions effectively.
- Provide clients with support throughout setup process and in case of problems that arise with the network’s accessibility or performance.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related discipline
- Ability to work shifts that require sitting for long hours
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills