Use this professional created IT Manager job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
IT managers are responsible for making sure that computer systems are working smoothly and meeting the company’s needs. This job includes continuous monitoring for problems, troubleshooting and training users. IT managers supervise the IT department and define its priorities and goals.
An IT manager must possess technical qualifications, including a related college degree or appropriate certification. Your IT manager job description should also include any additional knowledge necessary to understand your company’s computing needs.
An IT manager must constantly update his or her technical knowledge. As a management professional, he or she must possess organizational and leadership skills in order to efficiently delegate tasks and manage IT projects. Communication skills are also important, including the ability to train users who are not familiar with technical issues.
IT Manager Job Description Template
As our IT manager, you are given the job of being accountable and responsible for ensuring our computer systems run smoothly within the limits of specifications, costs, requirements and timelines. You will also supervise the maintenance and implementation of any new products used to meet the company’s computing needs. Highlight your leadership skills by managing a team of IT professionals ranging from 8-12 people. Explore your innovative side with research and implementation of computer processes and equipment that provides strategic solutions to the unique problems the company faces on a regular basis. You are part of a team of individuals who are responsible for an essential piece of the personnel puzzle.
- Keep staff numbers up by recruiting, hiring and training new employees, and attract them with personal growth opportunities and a safe, secure work environment.
- Plan, monitor and appraise job results; counsel and coach team members.
- Initiate, coordinate, and enforce all systems, policies and procedures implemented by the company to ensure that our IT department is meeting company standards.
- Attend educational workshops, establish personal networks in the field, review professional publications and become a member of a professional society to improve your knowledge of new technology to bring back to the company.
- Coordinate timetables and resources with the data center and user department in order to complete projects on time.
- Manage a group of 8-12 to ensure that they are qualified, motivated and invested in the success of the company; set up a work environment for them that is encouraging and positive.
- Enforce and establish organization standards in order to maintain a high level of customer service to our customers.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, computer science or a related field
- Hands-on experience working in an IT department
- Knowledge of relevant computer software/hardware systems, technical management and information analysis
- Ability to travel
- Experience managing a team or group of people
- Experience in developing budgets