Use this professional created Diesel Mechanic job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A diesel mechanic inspects and repairs diesel engines. This can include consulting with customers to determine existing problems and work requested. The repair process requires replacing mechanical or electric equipment to improve the function of the engine.
Interacting with customers requires good interpersonal skills. Oral and written communication is important to this process. A good diesel mechanic job description takes this into account and lists customer service skills as a required qualification.
On the mechanical side of things, a diesel mechanic needs good dexterity and an eye for detail. Knowledge of the inner workings of an engine is also required. Some years of experience can ensure this knowledge, along with certain levels of education.
Diesel Mechanic Job Description Template
Take your diesel mechanic career to the next level and turn your work into a more satisfying, rewarding experience when you become a member of our fantastic team. Self-starting team players fuel our business, and our flourishing, customer-oriented company is the right place for you to grow your career. As a valued and respected member of our shop, you will earn highly competitive pay and benefits you deserve as you utilizing your expert skills fixing and maintaining our clients’ vehicles. Help your team to meet monthly, quarterly and annual sales goals successfully. If you are dedicated, hard-working, and open to new challenges, we want you to join our exceptional crew.
- Inspect vehicle condition and perform diagnostic tests to identify old or damaged parts and offer replacement solutions.
- Complete preventive maintenance schedules, control corrosion, implement winterization procedures, and install replacement components, and conduct test drives to check vehicle performance and tune systems and controls.
- Comply with state and federal specifications by testing safety, combustion, and engine control standards.
- Maintain vehicle appearance by painting, washing, cleaning, and accurately logging vehicle records by documenting services and repairs.
- Operate shop equipment correctly by controlling supplies, following operating instructions, performing preventive maintenance, troubleshooting breakdowns, and asking for repairs.
- Contain costs by utilizing warranties, evaluating service and parts options, and managing supplies by inventorying stock, placing orders accurately, and verifying receipts.
- Keep up to date on industry standards by engaging in educational programs and reading regulation and technical publications.
- Assist the maintenance department in preserving an outstanding reputation by complying with client requests practically, proactively and in a consistently timely manner.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license
- Three or more years of diesel mechanic work or related experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Basic math and English language skills
- Self-starter with autonomy to make critical decisions
- Familiarity with entering and updating simple computer records