Use this professional created Research Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A qualified research assistant is responsible for ensuring researchers have accurate and detailed information pertaining to all experiments performed in order to improve the process for future experiments. In addition to keeping records, applicants will complete laboratory procedures, update computer databases, and ensure the lab remains clean and sterile.
Your research assistant job description should include information detailing that applicants must understand research principles and objectives and have a working knowledge of computers and relevant databases.
Your job description should indicate the need for a bachelor’s degree in the appropriate field as well as a requirement of laboratory experience and the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time.
Research Assistant Job Description Template
With a job as a research assistant, you are part of a comprehensive, progressive movement to improve a basic process or procedure. This position is perfect for an organized individual, giving you the chance to manage and track the financial, clinical and psychosocial impact of the current system. Research assistants also have the exciting job of maintaining and updating the current database and working with extensive amounts of previous research results. You’ll work closely with the Research and Clinical teams to gather critical data. You’ll be proud of the job you’ve done when all the information inside the database is updated and accurate. As a research assistant, you are a huge part of improving the industry and the company or educational institution.
- Maintain detailed, accurate records of all experiments performed and their overall results in order to improve processes in the future.
- Complete a variety of laboratory procedures and tasks on a regular basis, and ensure that all standard operating procedures are followed.
- Update current computer database with any appropriate clinical information that is relevant to the study or experiment.
- Process, transport and log all samples that come through the laboratory during the experiment phase to ensure safety and accuracy.
- Maintain lab and sterilize and clean glassware to guarantee that all employees are working in an atmosphere safe from harm.
- Work with fellows and new students in the laboratory to create a team mentality that guarantees projects are completed on time and correctly.
- Operate specialized machinery and equipment safely and securely according to the equipment manual and standard operating procedure.
- Track stock of any necessary lab materials, placing orders for new supplies and equipment when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or arts
- Basic understanding of general lab and research principles and objectives
- Working knowledge of personal computers and database management
- Previous experience in a laboratory
- Ability to lift, walk and stand for long periods of time
- Extensive computer skills with basic programs such as Word and Excel