Use this professional created Store Manager job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Store managers are leaders at their businesses. They are responsible for hiring, training and, if necessary, firing employees. They make sure the store is always up to code and everyone has a task. Managers make the schedules and oversee all operating expenses. Lastly, store managers need to lead by example and always provide patrons with exceptional customer service.
It is crucial to put in your store manager job description that you need someone with multiple years of experience working in retail in a managerial position. A bachelor’s degree in finance or business can be beneficial but is often not absolutely mandatory.
Important qualities to seek in a store manager include excellent leadership abilities. Managers need to be great communicators and have outstanding time management skills.
Store Manager Job Description Template
Now is the time to bring your leadership skills to the front and really show how you can help to facilitate the operation of an entire store. The best store manager candidates are the ones who can deliver sales performance, train others to do the same, and coordinate the administrative tasks necessary to the smooth function of the store while handling employee conduct and attendance issues as they arise. Experience is a huge help with this, and the most successful store managers usually work for years in a variety of retail settings before stepping into a supervisory position, which gives them the opportunity to understand the ins and outs of the business.
- Hire, train, discipline, promote, and terminate employees according to the company’s goals and expectations to promote company culture and advance the brand.
- Ensure compliance with all company guidelines in all matters of operation.
- Track sales receipts and inventory according to established procedures for quality assurance.
- Maintain employee schedules and ensure the store is staffed appropriately for the volume of business at any given time. Receive and sign for merchandise orders.
- Oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable for the location, ensuring all operating expenses like utilities and regular maintenance services are handled.
- Keep the store clean and presentable, and handle the delegation of all tasks appropriate for this practice to the properly trained staff members.
- Devise and implement a succession plan to provide further development and advancement to those employees who stand out as exceptionally responsible or worthy of promotion.
- Maintain a courteous and professional rapport with all staff members and customers, providing an example for the rest of the store’s staff.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum two years of supervisory, management, or assistant management experience in a retail setting
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Experience leading a team and guiding projects from beginning to end
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or a related field
- Excellent organizational and time management skills