Use this professional created Lifeguard job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
The number one duty of lifeguards is safety. They are responsible for giving aid in injury and medical emergency situations that includes basic first aid, administering CPR and using an AED device. Lifeguards enforce pool or beach rules, run chemical tests on water, and keep records of assistance provided, area conditions and conduct of visitors.
All lifeguards are required to receive and maintain current Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid certification and American Lifeguard or equivalent certification. Candidates must be a minimum of 16 years of age and are required to complete on-the-job training. Previous experience as a lifeguard is usually preferred.
Your lifeguard job description should emphasize that candidates must be safety-minded and conscientious as lives may be at stake. They should also be comfortable in a supervisory role and confident in their ability to enforce safety rules and regulations.
Lifeguard Job Description Template
Are you looking for a fun, exciting, and fast-paced job that doesn’t require sitting at a desk all day? We have an immediate opening for a conscientious, safety-minded individual with the right certifications to join our team of dedicated lifeguards. You will have the chance to interact with people of all ages to answer questions and encourage safe behaviors, as well as provide life-saving aid to people during drowning or other emergency situations. We strive to create a fantastic environment for our customers and employees, and we encourage innovation and ideas for improvement. If you are passionate about saving lives and want the chance to enhance your resume with unique work experience, apply today and become a valued member of our team.
- Provide immediate aid and medical attention to swimmers, including rescue during distress or potential drowning, aid following a slip and fall, and help during any other medical emergency.
- Examine injured persons for signs of distress or serious medical conditions, and provide help as necessary by performing CPR, using an AED device, and/or completing first aid procedures with provided medical supplies.
- Answer questions and provide safety instructions for participants at a swimming pool or beach, including monitoring water slides, diving boards, hot tubs, and lap pools for unsafe behavior and signs of distress.
- Warn participants of dangerous water conditions, enforce beach or pool rules and prevent dangerous actions.
- Complete chemical testing of water and other facilities as necessary using provided tools and take appropriate action to correct unacceptable conditions.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of area conditions, member conduct, rescue or medical operations completed, and any other relevant information.
- Perform additional duties as requested by management, including cleaning pool deck area of obstructions, performing an inventory of medical supplies, and contacting emergency personnel when necessary.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least 16 years old and able to complete on-the-job training
- Possess current American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications and American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, or equivalent approved certifications
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Previous lifeguard experience