Use this professional created Psychologist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Psychologists study human behavior by designing, implementing, and analyzing experiments that measure social, emotional, and cognitive processes. In addition to conducting research, they also diagnose and treat mental health conditions.
Psychologists must pass board examinations and obtain appropriate licensing from the states where they practice. They can also obtain additional certifications to develop expertise within specific disciplines. Your psychologist job description should contain information about the licensing and education required for your position.
Communication is a central component of psychologists’ jobs, so they need to be able to speak and write effectively. They must also have an aptitude for observing remarkable or unusual circumstances, designing experiments to explore them, and analyzing the information they obtain for real-world significance.
Psychologist Job Description Template
Are you looking for a way to use your expert knowledge and understanding of the human mind to help others? Consider joining our behavioral health services team as a psychologist. You must have the passion necessary to deliver outstanding mental health care to our clients and the stamina required to work with a variety of case types. In this setting, each day is an adventure, so it’s essential for you to be ready to assist with case management and look for creative solutions that make our clients’ lives better. If you’re ready to work with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff and help develop the best possible outcomes, then this may be the right type of assignment for you.
- Evaluate individuals using a battery of industry assessments in behavioral, emotional, cognitive, social and psychological areas to diagnose or determine the extent of specific disorders.
- Develop treatment plans for individuals with mental health goals using therapies such as counseling, hypnosis, behavior modification, psychotherapy and other strategies.
- Partner with other medical professionals or behavioral health staff when planning a schedule of treatment for patients who need care.
- Interact with patients using an individual or group counseling therapeutic approach to help develop coping strategies for various disorders or stressors.
- Participate in crisis intervention procedures when patients are displaying behaviors that are dangerous to themselves or others and refer patients who need additional support to outside specialists.
- Supervise interns in their fellowship program by using various forms of instructional methods and monitor psychology residents during the final rotations.
- Work to develop new knowledge and expertise in the latest research in the field by attending classes, workshops, and conferences and reviewing industry publications.
- Doctoral degree in psychology from an accredited program
- Possession of a valid state license in psychology
- Completion of an internship or residency as a psychologist
- Excellent analytical skills and communication ability
- Two or more years of experience in a clinical setting
- Experience with behavioral therapy
Job Skills & Qualifications