Use this professional created Counselor job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Counselors help clients navigate emotional trials and crises by administering tests, facilitating counseling sessions, and collecting behavioral data. They often work as part of a larger treatment team, offering guidance to the family members, educators, medical professionals, and other parties responsible for their clients.
Counselors must remain calm as they help their clients navigate overwhelming, often negative emotions. In the face of these uncomfortable situations, they must offer strategies for addressing issues constructively. To this end, your counselor job description should emphasize the importance of having a placid demeanor and strong communication and problem-solving skills.
Counselors must have state-appropriate licensing in order to practice. They should also be able to demonstrate that they have mastered skills such as reflective listening, treatment planning, and clinical decision making.
Counselor Job Description Template
If you are passionate about making a difference in the world and helping every individual live his or her best life, we want you to join our team of counselors. You will have the chance to work with patients in a caring and positive environment and collaborate with a group of experts to form treatment plans and monitor progress. We are dedicated to providing the best experience for our patients and employees, so you can enjoy the support of a dedicated team along with excellent pay and benefits. This position will allow you to see a variety of patients and learn new treatment strategies and methods for continued post-treatment recovery. Join our team and discover the rewards of a career caring for others.
- Provide counseling to patients in both individual and group sessions on a daily or weekly basis to encourage changes in destructive behaviors and assistance in overcoming dependencies.
- Prepare and maintain detailed records for every patient containing the patient’s history, counseling procedures and services provided, progress completed, and any further issues or treatments required.
- Communicate effectively with clients, family members, government entities, and colleagues as necessary to evaluate a patient’s condition, form relevant and measurable goals, create a customized treatment plan, and share recovery progress.
- Establish open and honest communication with clients and their family members, and provide detailed information about addiction, behavioral issues, available services and treatment plans, and methods for continuing growth and development.
- Evaluate patients continually throughout treatment to accurately assess results of specific programs and modify goals and methods as needed, including referring patients to other experts as necessary.
- Create and implement comprehensive aftercare programs customized to each patient’s individual needs and circumstances.
- Act as liaison between a patient and family members, medical staff, probation officers, and courts as needed to pass along relevant information about treatment and help create a viable support network for continuing care.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, appropriate state license, and successful passage of background check
- Ability to communicate with angry, frustrated, or violent patients calmly and professionally
- Understanding of 12-Step methodology
- Confidence to make decisions without continuous oversight from management
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Previous clinical experience