Use this professional created Pharmacy Technician job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Pharmacy technicians support pharmacists by measuring, packaging, and labeling prescriptions prior to distribution. They also serve customers by answering questions, processing insurance claims, and handling transactions.
Because education, training, and certification requirements vary by state, your pharmacy technician job description should clearly outline the qualifications you want from your applicants. Candidates who have gained hands-on experience through their training may be more prepared to fulfill the duties of the job.
Pharmacy technicians should have strong customer service skills, because they are frequently required to relay sensitive information to customers. In the pharmacy industry, small errors can be catastrophic, so your applicants should be able to demonstrate that they are detail-oriented and mathematically proficient.
Pharmacy Technician Job Description Template
As a member of our outstanding pharmacy department, you will be responsible for assisting customers and ensuring that prescriptions are filled and organized appropriately. We value all of our pharmacy technicians, and we will always strive to provide you with growth and career development opportunities. In this role, you will work closely with our lead pharmacists and pharmacy manager to provide a high level of service and ensure that the company brand is represented in a positive manner. If you are looking to expand your skill set in a fast-paced yet supportive pharmacy environment, we would love to review your resume and qualifications. We are ready and willing to interview personable and enthusiastic employees and provide our pharmacy team with a new and knowledgeable member.
- Assist pharmacists as needed and fill prescriptions in a timely and careful fashion.
- Answer basic questions regarding prescription and non-prescription drugs and refer customers to pharmacists if you are unable to answer their questions or assist them.
- Use automated software program to update drug inventory, fill prescriptions, and enter customer information.
- Contact medical practices and hospitals regarding patient refills and potential drug interactions; call insurance companies to obtain prior authorization for prescriptions requiring step-therapy.
- Verify that patient insurance and health information is accurate and up to date; enter information into computer if an update is needed.
- Maintain pharmacy by ensuring a neat, clean, and sanitary appearance, and that over-the-counter drugs are neatly organized and visible.
- Suggest additional pharmacy products and services during checkout, and inform customers about current promotions.
- Ensure that cash registers are balanced at the end of each shift; collect and deposit money securely into store safe before leaving.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) degree
- Customer service experience
- Ability to pay close attention to details and notes
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to stand, bend, lift, and kneel for four or more hours
- Previous pharmacy experience