Use this professional created Nursing Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
In the medical field, nursing assistants are an important part of the process and primarily responsible for filling basic comfort and hygiene needs of patients. Nursing assistants are tasked with bathing and cleaning patients, repositioning and transferring patients, and helping them use the bathroom. They must also take notes of patient behaviors and monitor and record patient vital signs. The most talented nursing assistants can be found with comprehensive nursing assistant job descriptions.
It is vital that nursing assistants have strong communication and interpersonal skills. As they deal with patients, they should exhibit empathy, compassion, and emotional stability.
On the other hand, nursing assistants should also have a strong handle on medical fundamentals. Physical stamina and attention to detail are essential traits.
Nursing Assistant Job Description Template
A job as a nursing assistant can be fulfilling, exciting and educational in a setting that makes you feel as if you are truly helping people. When you work with us, you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of every patient as you provide help with improving health care and hygiene. Nursing assistants are asked to provide transportation, comfort and vital sign monitoring for those who are unable to care for themselves. They are a group of individuals within the medical industry that provide vital patient support to not only keep patients healthy, but to take a heavy load off doctors and nurses during treatment. You will work closely with patients and get to know their needs on a very personal level as you help nurse them back to health or undergo a stressful procedure.
- Aid patients with personal hygiene with baths, shampoos, shaves, backrubs, urinals, bedpans, and help to the bathroom, showers and baths.
- Engage patients in activities that stimulate the brain and the body to heal quickly and keep them upbeat.
- Assist with basic daily living tasks like feeding patients, serving meals, turning, ambulating and positioning patients, and providing nourishment and fresh water in between meals.
- Participate in adjunct care with things like nonsterile dressings, ice packs, surgical preps, heat treatments, therapeutic baths, enemas, douches and restraints.
- Check weight and vital signs, test urine and record intake and output information regularly to ensure that patients are stable between treatments.
- Adhere to all professional standards set by the hospital and clinic, learn procedures and policies, and protect the hospital community by committing to local, state and federal standards.
- Accept ownership for different and new requests and explore ways to improve patient care.
- Update educational and practical knowledge on a regular basis, stay up on professional publications, maintain licensing and participate in professional organizations that improve your quality of care.
Job Skills & Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- CNA course completion and current certification
- Good bedside manner and ability to multitask
- At least one year of experience in the medical field
- Outgoing and friendly personality