Use this professional created Custodian job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Custodians are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the buildings and companies they serve. They must be able to use a variety of tools and equipment, such as mops, brooms, floor buffers and cleaning chemicals to ensure that the spaces they clean remain in their top condition. This often requires vacuuming, sweeping and mopping, and cleaning restrooms.
You should include some skill and quality requirements in your custodian job description. The best custodians will have interpersonal skills that allow them to get along easily with others, including their supervisors and building occupants. They must also have the mechanical skills necessary to understand building operations and make routine repairs.
Physical strength and stamina are also ideal because these workers spend most of their time on their feet performing various tasks. The ability to lift and move large objects and supplies is of the utmost importance.
Custodian Job Description Template
We are a people oriented company that takes pride in developing long term relationships with vendors, customers, and our employees. Looking for a fast-paced job that will allow you to utilize your cleaning expertise in a rewarding environment? One of our goals is offering our clients a team of hardworking, happy, and motivated professionals, and that’s why we need you, a personable, enthusiastic custodian who is adaptable, dedicated, and committed to working hard. We would love for you to become a respected team member in our high energy environment! Experience the excitement of fostering team unity as you work side-by-side with fellow employees to build rapport with our clients, improve productivity, boost morale, and exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual goals.
- Clean the living, dining, and restroom areas to ensure a safe and clean environment for the client, and engage in appropriate interaction with residents.
- Repair building problems, such as fix electronic devices, leaky pipes, desks and chairs, or appliances as well as paint, mow the lawn, or other maintenance projects.
- Sanitize drinking fountains, fixtures, countertops, sinks, and bathrooms to facilitate a clean setting that complies with state and local regulations.
- Pressure wash bathrooms and showers when necessary to satisfy the ordinance for acceptable hygiene.
- Wash interior and exterior windows to present a professional image and appearance for the client.
- Stock all restrooms with soap, toilet paper, and paper towels to provide amenities for patrons throughout the working day.
- Secure doors and window to guard against illegal entry, fire, or other damage as required for safety and security purposes.
- Maintain cleaning equipment in proper condition and report problems to the shift supervisor.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Formal training in math and standard English vocabulary
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to read labels to ensure proper chemical usage
- Must pass criminal background checks and obtain clearances
- Comfortable with a flexible schedule
- Able to lift 40 pounds