Use this professional created Security Officer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Security officers are tasked with protecting an employer’s property while ensuring that all laws and policies are obeyed. They do this through monitoring closed-circuit TV cameras and monitoring alarms, controlling access to certain areas and conducting regular security checks throughout the property.
It is important that you create a security officer job description that entices the most qualified candidates to apply. You can do this by including important skills and qualities that great security officers possess, including patience, an attention to detail and strong observational skills.
It is often ideal for security officers to have great physical strength in case they must apprehend offenders or take charge in an emergency situation. Strong decision-making skills are also key because they must be able to quickly evaluation a situation and act appropriately.
Security Officer Job Description Template
As a respected company in the community, we are constantly on the alert for ways to keep our employees and customers safe when they are on our premises. In order to do this, we need qualified security officers that genuinely care about the safety of others. As a security officer, you work to minimize loss on company property, and guarantee that all personnel and customers feel safe at all times. Our security team is full of trustworthy, focused individuals that are invested in securing the environment as much as possible. As a security officer, you must constantly be alert and aware, and may be asked to move around a lot during the average shift. Our company is committed to safety, and we hire the security officers that echo that commitment.
- Monitor all entrances and authorize those who come on the premises, including visitors, employees and other persons. Investigate disturbances and answer any alarms that are sounded throughout the premises.
- Contact the appropriate emergency services personnel in the event of an emergency, including a fire or the presence of a vandal or thief.
- Answer questions, record messages and take telephone calls to provide information to callers when office hours are over or the receptionist is not available.
- Know the rules well in order to inform others of violations or infractions, and to evict and apprehend any violators.
- Screen any individual requesting access to restricted areas.
- Develop more efficient plans for security and ways to better organize the security team.
- Boost morale with a calm personality that projects authority to personnel and visitors.
- Keep organized records of any visits or irregularities throughout the day in order to pick out patterns regarding when security is vulnerable.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Experience in safety management
- Calm, logical personality that maintains emotional control in tense situations
- Experience with programs used throughout the company to report disturbances and activities