Use this professional created Benefits Specialist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Your employees need to understand the benefits that come with their employment to make proper use of resources like healthcare, dental, and vision insurance. That’s why you need to make sure you have a benefits specialist who can help your staff parse the complexities that come with their employment benefits.
Patience and an ability to break down complex concepts into everyday language are important characteristics that need to be underscored in any benefits specialist job description. That’s because the largest part of the work involves explaining complex ideas to people who do not specialize in understanding insurance concepts.
It’s also important that a job description underscores the analytical problem-solving and information literacy skills needed by specialists. That way, you can be sure you are hiring a well-rounded candidate who can truly help other employees.
Benefits Specialist Job Description Template
We take care to treat our employees like family, which is why we are happy to provide a full spectrum of benefits to all personnel. Join our team as a benefits specialist and help inform our staff about the various benefits provided by our company. You will use your organizational and technical skills to manage the database and maintain perfect records of personnel hiring and firing, as well as any uses of benefits like workers’ compensation or leave of absence. You will become an important member of our human resources team to ensure that our employees remain content in their jobs and that any issues regarding company or government issued benefits are handled appropriately.
- Educate new hires in benefits offered by the company, including medical, vision, dental and retirement options, so that they are aware of their packages.
- Administer all benefit plans to employees, maintaining all paperwork as determined by company policy.
- Review reports and paperwork and compare to federal and state law requirements to ensure the company remains in compliance.
- Create reports and assist in the annual audit and merit processes to make sure that the benefits program remains efficient and productive.
- Analyze benefits program and determine any areas that could use improvement and develop ideas for revising processes.
- Coordinate open enrollment process along with benefits manager to ensure it runs smoothly and all applicable personnel are appropriately enrolled.
- Manage database system by entering all information such as any deductions, leave of absences, terminations and other changes to benefit programs.
- Answer questions posed by employees about benefits including healthcare, COBRA, leave of absence, retirement plans and other federal, local and corporate programs.
Jobs Skills & Qualifications
- 2-4 years of experience in human resources, benefits specialist preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and HRIS
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or equivalent
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws