Use this professional created Respiratory Therapist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Respiratory therapists provide care for those suffering from any kind of respiratory problem, at any age. This can include working with the elderly and infirm, prematurely born babies, and any age in between.
Your respiratory therapist job description should focus on those key traits that make successful therapists, including the interpersonal skills that help them relate to patients and understand their needs. It is also vital that respiratory therapists have solid knowledge of the variety of respiratory conditions potential patients live with.
As you write the job description for your new post, make sure you emphasize both the practical and easily quantifiable skills you require, such as familiarity with key processes and pieces of equipment, as well as the “soft” skills that might only be apparent after long-term observation. That way, you can attract the best candidate.
Respiratory Therapist Job Description Template
Do you long to work for a company that is completely focused on helping others? If you find fulfillment in making a positive impact on the world one patient at a time, you will love joining our passionate and kindhearted team as a motivated respiratory therapist. Like you, we hold ourselves to high standards and are committed to providing superior care to patients of all ages. We are always looking to add new talent and ambition to our team, and we would love to speak with you about how we can meet your needs as an upward-moving professional. Schedule your interview today and learn how to become part of our energetic and motivated team!
- Provide patients with external cardiac massage, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, artificial respiration and other forms of emergency care as needed.
- Work in cooperation with nurses, physicians and other healthcare professionals to facilitate patient care by helping to perform medical procedures and other duties as required for the health of the patient.
- Monitor patient vital signs, blood chemistry changes, blood gases and other physiological responses to therapy. If adverse reactions occur, consult with the appropriate physician right away.
- Review patient information including prescriptions and arterial blood gas measurements to continually assess the patient’s condition.
- Operate aerosol generators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, mechanical ventilators, environmental control systems and other devices following specified treatment parameters.
- Maintain, test, inspect and clean respiratory therapy equipment to ensure its safety and efficiency. When necessary, order maintenance or repair services.
- Provide patients and their families with information regarding the proper use of respiratory equipment or medications, appropriate disease management techniques, and other information about their conditions.
- Ensure that safety rules and physicians’ orders are closely adhered to.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Graduation from AMA-approved respiratory program
- Current state respiratory care license
- LPN, RRT, CRTT or currently meeting NBRC requirements
- One or more years of experience in respiratory care
- Current CPR certification
- Experience with home medical equipment