Use this professional created Physician Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Physician assistants are responsible for helping surgeons and physicians in a number of ways. They help examine patients, review people’s medical histories and interpret various tests from X-rays to blood work. These assistants are usually the ones who follow up with patients to ensure a treatment is working.
Your physician assistant job description should state you are looking for someone with a bachelor’s degree in healthcare. Previous experience working as a paramedic, EMT or nurse is also beneficial. A license to work in your state is mandatory.
Those applying to become a physician assistant should be compassionate, emotionally stable and detail-focused. Clear communication skills are necessary to inform patients and their families of complex medical concepts.
Physician Assistant Job Description Template
Are you longing to help patients in a compassionate and caring environment? We want you, an intelligent and trustworthy physician assistant, to help make our team even better than it already is. Working directly with patients and helping to improve their health is a rewarding responsibility that can enhance your life and make for a very rewarding career. With the support of a superstar staff composed of EMTs and medical assistants, you will provide invaluable assistance to a team of compassionate nurses and doctors. Take advantage of the competitive pay and benefits we offer in order to attract and retain the brightest minds in the industry.
- Help patients feel relaxed and comfortable while asking detailed questions about their health history and current health conditions/complaints.
- Work closely with patients, caregivers, physicians, legal representatives and facility staff to ensure that patients receive proper care and are treated well.
- Perform routine and comprehensive physicals on a daily basis, and complete psychological, medical and environmental safety assessments as needed on a case-by-case basis.
- Assess patient injuries and provide diagnoses and treatments, including emergency medical treatments as needed for cases such as hemorrhage, cardiac arrest and similar emergencies.
- Execute minor everyday procedures including x-ray analysis and interpretation, suturing and other treatments as needed.
- Follow established environmental, infection control, and safety procedures to ensure the safety of patients and staff and to maintain a sterile environment.
- Notify supervising physician immediately if you notice any unusual patient health problems or events that require immediate care.
- Write orders as needed and appropriate for stimulants, depressant drugs, narcotics and other controlled substances required by the patient.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least two years of experience as a physician assistant or nurse practitioner assistant
- Current state license
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR
- Knowledge of ICD-9, CPT and HCPC codes and clinical standards of care
- Knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid benefit systems and contracts