Use this professional created Phlebotomist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Phlebotomists draw blood for laboratory testing, research, transfusions and blood donations. They also must verify the identity of the patient or donor, label the drawn blood properly and enter necessary database information.
In the phlebotomist job description, you should specify whether or not you are willing to train candidates on the job. Alternatively, you can state that you are seeking those who are already professionally certified by organizations such as the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Before drawing blood, a phlebotomist is expected to interact with patients to explain the process and minimize patient nervousness. Thus, the ideal candidate is compassionate and able to communicate effectively with patients. Additionally, he or she should be detail-oriented to ensure accuracy of labeling and data input. Dexterity is another desired quality that enables the phlebotomist to assemble and maintain equipment and successfully draw blood with minimal patient discomfort.
Phlebotomist Job Description Template
A job in phlebotomy is fulfilling for anyone who is interested in the medical field and enjoys helping patients in varying stages of health. Phlebotomists are tasked with the exciting job of taking blood samples from patients. Once the blood is drawn, it is passed to the lab for further testing, so the phlebotomist is an important part of diagnosis and treatment of many medical issues. We are looking to hire a personable individual that wants a rewarding, fun job where they get to meet many new people every day. If you are organized, professional and love working in the medical field, this is the job for you.
- Collect samples from patients by drawing blood through veins on several parts of the body.
- Learn and use proper patient identification to avoid mistakes that can affect treatment.
- Label all samples with dates and patient names before they are sent to the lab. Transfer all samples in a timely manner from the hospital or clinic where they are taken to the appropriate laboratory for the correct testing.
- Relax patients by being friendly and personable but competent with the needle.
- Draw blood from patients of any age or health status, from newborns in the maternity ward to the elderly at a medical clinic.
- Enforce infection control processes any time you are working with equipment or patients.
- Look for better ways to improve infection control, patient care and turnaround time for lab results, to improve the process and take a deeper interest in the company.
- Organize phlebotomy supplies on a daily basis to ensure that no mistakes are made.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Certification from completing phlebotomy course
- Clinical experience during the course or on the job training
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a medical related field
- Ability to travel to different locations to draw blood and transport lab samples
- Courteous, friendly personality that puts people at ease when they are nervous