Use this professional created Personal Care Aide job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Personal care aides assist their clients, who typically have physical or mental afflictions, with everyday tasks and social support. They are expected to care for and engage with the client, providing assistance when needed or asked. Duties can include helping with client mobility, assisting with housework, preparing meals, aiding in hygiene tasks and keeping track of bills, appointments and other scheduling tasks.
There are no strict education requirements to become a personal aide. However, in your personal care aide job description, you should include that the applicant should know how to engage with cognitively impaired individuals and provide basic hygienic and medical assistance.
Some states require that personal care aides need to be trained and certified. Additionally, a criminal background check may be mandatory.
Personal Care Aide Job Description Template
If you have a deeply compassionate personality and are looking to get more experience in the healthcare setting, we have the right position for you. The personal care aide plays a vital role in helping elderly clients continue to live with dignity and independence in their own homes. Our aides enjoy providing friendship and support to senior patients in our care. We provide additional services that are not medical in nature, such as light housekeeping, assistance with making meals, personal hygiene care and dressing. If you become a personal care aide, you get the extra benefits of flexible scheduling and a self-directed pace of work.
- Develop a caring and sincere relationship with our clients by learning about their interests, finding out about their likes and dislikes, listening to them and participating in regular conversation.
- Work with nutritional support staff to help clients meet their dietary needs by purchasing ingredients, preparing meals and ensuring that the client is eating.
- Provide personal hygiene support, including bathing, washing, showering, caring for skin, grooming, hair brushing and dressing.
- Assist with helping clients maintain oral appliances, such as dentures, and help clients insert dental appliances when needed.
- Maintain a clean and orderly environment in the clients’ homes with regular assistance in laundry, vacuuming, dusting, organizing and other light housekeeping duties.
- Help keep clients aware of medications that they should be taking and keep up with clients’ schedules of medical appointments and visits.
- Update clients’ teams of physicians and nurses on physical and mental condition by giving daily summaries of documentation of care and observations.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- One or more years of experience working in home health care or assistance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Clear criminal background, drug screen and DMV check
- A valid driver’s license and auto insurance policy
- Willingness to work overnight or weekend shifts
- Completion of nursing assistant or other related coursework