Use this professional created Nurse job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Nurses play an essential role in medical facilities, delivering direct physical and psychosocial care to many patients with limited supervision. Nurse candidates must support the physician, monitor patients, respond to complications, maintain careful medical records and ensure medical equipment is functioning properly.
Nurses can obtain licensing with an associate or bachelor’s degree. All states require that nurses pass the National Council Licensure Examination, but other licensing requisites may vary. You should specify in the nurse job description the expected education level and the licenses, certifications and ongoing education required in your state and facility.
Candidates for this position should have the physical stamina to perform demanding physical tasks, and the compassion and emotional resilience necessary to provide optimal care in stressful situations. Nurses also should be organized and detail-oriented to care for multiple patients with different needs.
Nurse Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly qualified professional to join our exceptional nursing team. Our mission is to continually support our staff with our ongoing mentoring program, a service we provide to all nurses in our employ. You will have a direct point person for questions and concerns, both as a new hire and throughout your time with the hospital. By treating every one of our staff with the utmost respect and working alongside each team member, we are able to help our nurses avoid job burnout and instead feel that they are part of a caring family that has their best interests at heart. Join a team that understands the hardworking nature of the nursing profession, and begin a career that you will continue to enjoy every day.
- Provide direct care to patients under limited supervision, including both the physical and psychosocial needs of patients in custody.
- Monitor patients while in treatment to ensure ongoing stability and to swiftly address any complications as they arise.
- Document patient vitals and health history, maintaining accurate records; ask pertinent questions and provide patient with knowledgeable feedback.
- Communicate with doctor on duty to provide comprehensive and focused care. Together with the doctor, create medical care plan for each individual patient.
- Ensure medical equipment is working properly, and alert staff regarding any equipment malfunction. Maintain thorough knowledge of equipment in order to treat patients effectively.
- Assist the patient during examinations or procedures, either alongside the physician or in a nursing-specific capacity.
- Participate in recertification as needed as well as continued education and self-driven learning objectives; participate in training sessions.
- Maintain professional standards of service to ensure appropriate level of care for each patient. Alert supervisor regarding any suspected unprofessionalism in the workplace.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Current registered nursing license
- ACLS certificate and BLS certificate
- Nursing program degree from an accredited institution
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- At least two years of nursing experience