Use this professional created Medical Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Medical assistants provide administrative and clinical support across the healthcare field. On the administrative side, they answer the telephone, complete insurance forms and perform other clerical tasks. On the clinical side, they assist physicians during examinations by, for example, taking down patient information, giving injections and preparing blood samples.
Given the breadth of this role, it is important to specify the medical field, such as optometry or podiatry, as well as the expected duties in the medical assistant job description. This information may determine what certification, if any, is necessary.
Medical assistants should have interpersonal skills in both the exam room and the office. They should demonstrate skill and precision with basic clinical instruments and an ability to comprehend diagnoses, medical charts and patient records.
Medical Assistant Job Description Template
Delivering quality healthcare requires skilled professionals who are able to act as a conduit between upset, exhausted, and sometimes angry patients and no-nonsense clinical providers. With this in mind, our organization is searching for a qualified medical assistant to help fill this role. If you like working with and around doctors, nurse practitioners and other clinicians while also enjoying the chance to interact with patients, then this may be the ideal job for you. We can offer you the chance to develop a comprehensive understanding of the patient care process, from acquiring knowledge related to diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to increasing your understanding of front-office tasks such as scheduling, insurance verification, and maintaining compliance standards.
- Assist clinicians in performing patient care, from performing triage and measuring vital signs to administering medications and removing sutures under the direction of doctors.
- Prepare treatment rooms for examination by ensuring that they are stocked with all necessary equipment and supplies, and oversee the cleaning and restocking of exam rooms after closing.
- Help maintain and monitor all medical supply usage, including cleaning and sterilization, and assist with ordering new supplies as needed.
- Work with laboratory technicians to collect and analyze patient samples, and assist radiological staff in preparing patients to undergo imaging studies.
- Collect and process prescription requests coming from the clinical providers and ensure that those requests are forwarded on to the appropriate pharmacies.
- Ensure that all documentation related to a patient’s assessment, laboratory and pathology tests, radiological studies, medications administered and prescribed, and discharge instructions are included in the patient’s chart.
- Assist in the transcription of all clinical information related to a patient’s visit into his or her medical record.
- Accompany patients out of the office, ensure that medical insurance information has been collected, and help schedule follow-up appointments (if needed).
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Completion of accredited Medical Assistant program within one year after hire date
- One year of experience working as a Medical Assistant
- CPR certification, along with working knowledge of infection control guidelines
- Advanced computer and data entry skills