Use this professional created Billing Specialist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
The billing specialist is responsible for overseeing daily billing and invoicing operations. This entails keeping patient financial records accurate and up to date, streamlining billing processes and providing financial reports to management as needed.
Computer and mathematical proficiency and a detail-oriented mindset are generally requisite for this position. Billing specialists should also be comfortable communicating with patients and coworkers to answer questions and ensure billing record accuracy. In some instances, this position may require proofreading or editing skills as well.
Indicate in the billing specialist job description whether or not you expect candidates to have education beyond a high school diploma. This position may not require a two- or four-year degree, but prior experience is generally preferred.
Billing Specialist Job Description Template
Looking for a satisfying job that allows you to exercise your skills in an environment that is both fast-paced and rewarding? If so, we would love to have you join our team of driven professionals as you advance your career with a highly respected business. As a detail-oriented billing specialist, you will enjoy having cutting-edge financial programs and tools at your disposal. Our goal is to give you the resources you need to complete your daily responsibilities with ease and efficiency while further developing your professional abilities. You will have the rewarding opportunity to interact face-to-face with customers on a daily basis and will play an integral role in solidifying interdepartmental cooperation and communication.
- Prepare and oversee billing and invoicing needs on a daily basis, including collections, reconciliation and online invoice submissions.
- Maintain meticulous financial records in both hard copy and electronic forms for the accounting department.
- Review customer contracts on a daily basis to ensure accuracy of data, and work with the appropriate salesman or manager to correct any errors or discrepancies that you may find.
- Answer customer billing questions via mailed letters, email, telephone or face-to-face conversations. Cooperate with other departments and team members to resolve billing disputes as needed.
- Maintain and update an electronic database with customer contact information, order history and payment history.
- Generate and present financial reports and billing statements on a weekly basis or as dictated by management.
- Analyze weaknesses or problems with current billing processes, and cooperate with finance department managers to create and implement improvements as needed.
- Ensure that all data is entered accurately and efficiently by reviewing invoices and financial reports on a daily and weekly basis.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Two or more years of experience in billing or accounting
- Proficiency in full Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Professional and friendly demeanor
- Proofreading and editing skills