Use this professional created Firefighter job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A promising firefighter job candidate should be able to assess emergency situations and effectively implement the appropriate response protocol. Duties include driving emergency vehicles; performing search and rescue operations; extinguishing structural, vehicular and wilderness fires; and performing drills and physical training.
Your firefighter job description should emphasize in detail the requirements of the job and appeal to those looking for an exciting opportunity. Typically, only a high school diploma is needed to apply, but additional medical and emergency response certification is usually required.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate courage, quick decision-making qualities, excellent physical fitness and clear communication abilities. Firefighters are placed in dangerous, often life-threatening situations that need fast, effective solutions and cooperative team members.
Firefighter Job Description Template
Every day, we help keep our community safe by providing life-saving firefighting services for residential, commercial and wildlife areas. As the community continues to grow, the demand for compassionate and courageous firefighters grows with it. We need you, an experienced and driven firefighter, to help us meet our goal of preventing fire-related fatalities and minimizing fire damage year after year. You will enjoy a sense of unity and immediate friendship when you join our incredible, hard-working team of everyday heroes and support staff. Hone your skills and learn new techniques as you actively participate in improving and protecting the community while making it a safer place to live and visit.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures designed to enhance effective operation and maximize safety when responding to fire alarms and other emergency situations.
- Respond promptly and reliably to all fire alarms while ensuring that designated equipment is always prepared and on-hand at a moment’s notice.
- Work to gain the support and confidence of local businesses, residents and public officials.
- Assist with developing and following through with emergency planning, dealing with development-related fire hazards, building code enforcement, incident command theory and hazardous materials handling.
- Analyze various emergency situations to determine the appropriate course of action while keeping others out of harm’s way.
- Aid in training staff and volunteer firefighters by demonstrating safe firefighting methods and procedures.
- Engage in fire drills and other exercises intended to prepare fire department personnel and the community to respond appropriately in emergency situations.
- Receive training in the use of life support equipment, CPR and other lifesaving techniques and procedures.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Two or more years of municipal firefighting and prevention
- Bachelor’s degree in fire science, public administration or a similar field
- Strong knowledge of current firefighting techniques and practices
- Understanding of building and fire codes
- Mastery of CPR and other lifesaving procedures
- Customer service experience