Use this professional created Food Service Worker job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A food service workers assist in preparing and serving a wide variety of different foods. They may assemble simple dishes, handle specific parts of a process, or cook large quantities of a certain food. Generally speaking, the job requires operating food preparation equipment and machinery, such as fryers, stoves, mixers, freezers, or choppers. Food service employees may also be responsible for inventorying foodstuffs, serving customers, or cleaning the preparation area.
Food service work generally does not require formal education, although on-the-job training is often required. Additionally, candidates should be aware of food safety and sanitation practices.
Because customer service is a common component of a food service job, ideal employees will have experience handling customers. A food service worker job description should mention that these jobs may also require employees to lift or carry objects, perform repetitive motions, or work in cold storage areas.
Food Service Worker Job Description Template
If you have a passion for food and are looking for a great way to enter the industry, food service work may be the right choice to set you on your career path. Working in food service offers many opportunities for advancement of your career, but it generally requires little in the way of skills and specialized experience to get started. Food service workers are encouraged to learn on the job, which means that you make money while learning valuable skills that can help you advance in your career. Food service is a great industry for new workers who are looking for a versatile skill set, as well as established employees who want to change their careers or just make a little extra cash on the side.
- Aid cooks in preparing meals and plating food as requested by the chef or other supervising employee.
- Prepare simple meals such as salads or desserts.
- Help cooks with food preparation duties for the day by cutting, peeling, or slicing as needed.
- Greet and take customer orders, remember special requests, and deliver food in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service with a positive demeanor when dealing with restaurant patrons, fielding all complaints promptly, answering questions, and making meal suggestions when asked.
- Assist with cleaning the restaurant and dining area by picking up trash, clearing and washing plates and dishes, and wiping down tables as needed.
- Adhere to food safety standards at all times, making sure that all food is free or contaminants and pathogens that might make customers sick.
- Clean pots, pans, and any other dishes in the kitchen as needed, adhering to safety and sanitation standards at all times.
- Food handlers license or certification that is valid in your area
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to deal with a variety of restaurant patrons
- Knowledge of kitchen sanitation, cleaning, and maintenance
- High school degree or GRE
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time