Use this professional created Interior Designer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Interior designers utilize lights, colors and textures to create interior spaces that are both safe and decorative. They are conversant in building codes and housing regulations, knowledge they use to read blueprints and set a budget for new projects. They are also responsible for establishing a timeline for each project and sketching design plans prior to installation.
Interior designers must be familiar with computer-aided design software and basic hand drawing to provide a visual representation of interior spaces. Because designers often collaborate with contractors and engineers, strong interpersonal skills are also a requirement.
Your interior designer job description should detail any licensure criteria specific to your state, such as certification exams or registration fees. Candidates should hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree, but specialty programs are also available for designers who work primarily with health care facilities, kitchens or bathrooms.
Interior Designer Job Description Template
Are you passionate about creating beautiful and functional indoor spaces, finding the perfect accent pieces, and choosing the ideal color scheme? We would love to have you join our team of interior designers and use your talents to exceed our customers’ expectations. You will have the chance to work directly with clients and design interior environments to meet taste, budget, and functionality requirements. We know how important our designers are to building our company’s reputation and attracting new clientele, so we offer competitive pay and benefits as well as numerous opportunities for career growth and development. Enjoy the challenge of new and exciting projects, along with the chance to expand your portfolio and develop your personal network of clients and colleagues.
- Design customized interior environments for clients as necessary by incorporating requirements for the timeline, functionality, architectural preferences, furnishings, equipment, and color coordination.
- Confer directly with clients, project managers, other designers, and boards of directors throughout the entire project to ensure compliance with client requirements, approved budget, and available resources.
- Create, review, modify, and present detailed drawings and/or computer renderings of design plans during initial consultations with clients and meetings with construction personnel.
- Estimate requirements for materials, including relevant costs and schedules, and present requirements to clients during scheduled meetings for modification or approval.
- Oversee subcontracting procedures as required, including interviewing, hiring, and managing fabricators, installers, painters, artists, and other personnel.
- Complete and submit official paperwork according to deadline requirements including client contracts, purchase orders, invoices and receipts, job summaries, change requests, and completion documents.
- Assist in training new designers when necessary by performing a mentoring role, attending client consultations, helping with design work, and providing support during presentations.
- Contribute actionable suggestions during annual review to improve adherence to current standards of design, efficiency, and sustainability.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in interior design plus two years’ experience, or minimum five years of related experience in lieu of degree
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, AutoCAD, and design or planning programs
- Exceptional people skills, including excellent communication and presentation abilities
- Proven reliability and dedication to meeting deadlines
- Sales experience