Use this professional created Dental Hygienist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Dental hygienists assist patients with good oral hygiene. Taking X-rays, teaching patients about the proper way to brush and removing plaque are some of the essential duties. Hygienists may also perform a fluoride treatment or install sealants to further prevent the formation of tooth decay.
An associate degree in dentistry is required, but a bachelor’s degree may be preferred. Your dental hygienist job description can also state that applicants should possess a few years of experience working in a dental office.
Dental hygienists need to be compassionate and understanding of patients’ trepidation toward procedures. Critical thinking skills are beneficial in addition to being detail oriented. Dexterity is vital since hygienists will be using equipment in a patient’s mouth.
Dental Hygienist Job Description Template
Are you passionate about dental health and love working with patients to improve their oral habits and keep their mouths clean? Do you enjoy educating patients about the best ways to care for their teeth even as you build a relationship of trust and friendship with them? If so, a job as a dental hygienist may be perfect for you. You’ll complete dental prophylaxis, screen for oral cancer and chart condition of disease and decay. Display your knowledge of dental practice acts by complying with required conditions during all procedures. Not only will you keep mouths clean, you’ll also prevent disease and problems in the future. If you are detail-oriented, friendly and love working with people, this might be the job for you.
- Set up treatment rooms for patients while adhering to the latest industry, office and OSHA procedures and protocols.
- Prepare patient by welcoming, seating, soothing and draping him or her upon entering the office, providing a welcoming air to what can be a distressing experience for some.
- Answer questions to give additional information to other employees and patients about oral health care.
- Maintain and clean all instruments after every patient, keeping tools sharp and sterile to limit patient discomfort.
- Clean stains and deposits from teeth and under gum margins according to rules of dental prophylaxis.
- Watch for disease by visually examining gums, probing for periodontal disease and screening for oral cancer.
- Aid dentist in managing medical and dental emergencies by completing and maintaining emergency number directory, CPR certification and emergency oxygen and drug supply.
- Document services by recording dental and medical histories and vital signs, keep charts in patient’s records for future hygienists and dentists.
- Associate degree in dental hygiene
- State licensure for dental hygienists
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a dental office
- Bachelor or master degree in dental hygiene
- Stamina, interpersonal skills and attention to detail