Use this professional created Dental Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Dental assistants help dentists in a variety of ways. They ensure the patient is comfortable, keep the patient’s mouth dry during a procedure and schedule appointments. Some of the more administrative tasks of the position include working out payments plans with patients and keeping records of patients’ treatments.
Dental assistants may be interested in one day becoming dentists. They should have passed all essential accreditations from their university or have an associate degree in dentistry.
Your dental assistant job description should list valuable traits you want to see in applicants. Good dexterity is essential for working around patients’ mouths. Since assistants work closely with patients, good interpersonal and communication skills are also beneficial to have.
Dental Assistant Job Description Template
Are you looking for a dental assistant position in a multi-specialty practice where you’ll work with flexibility and the knowledge that you’re helping both patients and dental specialists? We’d love to have you join the family and assist us with front desk administrative and office reception tasks. Our dental assistant position is full-time, and there may be occasions when you’re asked to come in on weekends to give us and our patients a hand. As part of the team, you’ll learn more about dental terminology, dental software and some dental technology, all to better assist our patients and help you be more proficient in your position.
- Operate multi-line phone system professionally, efficiently and courteously, making sure calls are directed to the proper specialist or department.
- Greet patients and guests and help them sign in before their appointments.
- Verify all patient dental and health insurance information and eligibility.
- Schedule follow-up appointments, consultations and treatments, making sure to provide patients with reminder cards and phone calls and noting appointments in the computer system.
- Set up and manage patient payment plans and payment schedules, as well as the resulting bookkeeping (we have an accountant on hand to help with this).
- Calculate patient co-payments and ensure their accuracy before entering them into the payment system.
- Review treatment and post-treatment care instructions with specialists, patients and patient families, and answer all questions or direct the patient/individual to the proper specialist.
- Maintain organization and confidentiality of all patient records according to the latest HIPAA standards and requirements.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least two years’ experience as a dental assistant in a multi-specialty practice
- Current knowledge of the latest HIPAA, OSHA and CDC regulations and policies
- Proficiency with word processing software
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task without compromising on quality of work
- Willingness to learn Dentrix Dental Software
- Bilingual in Spanish