Use this professional created Teacher Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Teacher assistants work with licensed teachers in a supporting role. In a childcare setting, the assistant provides individual instruction to students in educational activities, monitors play time activities, and helps with feeding, hygiene and other basic care needs. An assistant may also aid with lesson preparation, behavioral supervision and record keeping.
Education requirements for teacher assistants generally include two years of college courses or a two-year degree, preferably in an education related field. Training such as this ensures that assistants have a basic understanding of how a childcare teaching environment works and of their role in that environment.
A teacher assistant job description should emphasize the unique skills needed to perform the duties of this particular job. Not only must assistants have strong interpersonal and communication skills, with both adults and children, they must also be resourceful and patient.
Teacher Assistant Job Description Template
If you’re looking for a way to make a difference in the life of a child, we may have the right position for you as a teacher assistant in the classroom. We are looking for dedicated individuals who have the ability to be patient and the commitment to making the early childhood classroom experience meaningful and enriching. You will be working in our center and making connections with young learners and their families. In the classroom, you will be tasked to assist with a variety of learning activities that help prepare young minds to be learners for life. Your role will be as a partner to the classroom teacher in activities and lessons geared toward children from the ages of four months to five years.
- Partner with the classroom teacher and work with published curriculum guides when planning enriching activities that encourage cognitive, emotional and academic development.
- Provide assistance to the classroom teacher when delivering instruction, by preparing crafting centers, distributing materials for instruction, encouraging children to participate, giving directions, supervising small groups of students and motivating children to be creative.
- Support children with special needs during classroom activities by ensuring their engagement during the activity, accommodating disabilities and clarifying directions.
- Converse with parents on a daily basis about their child’s progress toward academic and social goals in the classroom setting.
- Supervise children during unstructured time or play in order to make sure every child is safe and accounted for.
- Work with a team of individuals to help promote the learning center’s mission and high level of instruction.
- Create positive relationships with community members and local businesses in order to provide a network of support to learners.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Experience working with children with a variety of needs
- Two or more years of college with coursework in education or child development
- CPR and first aid training certificate or the ability to obtain one
- A caring and patient personality
- Bachelor’s degree in education or another related field
- Experience with classroom interventions or behavior management