Use this professional created Office Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Frequently referred to as a secretary or administrative assistant, an office assistant keeps an office operating smoothly by performing clerical duties, such as answering phone calls and scheduling appointments. This person may report to an office manager or to a departmental supervisor.
Your office assistant job description should outline the minimum educational requirements for the job and any preferred industry or work experience. Also, discuss specific skills such as knowledge of Microsoft Word or Excel, proficiency in English and Spanish, or the ability to type X words per minute.
Quality office assistants tend to have good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. They may handle sensitive information, so you could emphasize the importance of integrity in the job description.
Office Assistant Job Description Template
The first person our customers/clients see goes a long way in setting the tone for the rest of their experience while they’re in our offices, which is why it’s so important that our primary office assistant embodies the values and culture of our company. Is that you? If you have a friendly and productive attitude, we need you to answer and field calls to the right individuals and departments, maintain the office calendar, greet visitors and manage all monthly meetings. Your position will provide you with an abundance of variety as our company is going through quite a growth spurt that’s likely to continue for the next several years. Are you ready to assist us in our success?
- Answer phone calls within three rings in a pleasant and professional manner, directing callers as needed.
- Perform light bookkeeping (payment tracking and customer invoicing) at the end of every month, coordinating with accounting to ensure accuracy and that all tax responsibilities are met.
- Draft, proofread and send out office correspondence, and contribute a section to the monthly office newsletter.
- Offer administrative and clerical support and manage daily administrative activities.
- Order, maintain and inventory office supplies as necessary (usually at the end of the month).
- Meet and greet guests and walk-ins with a smile and friendly disposition, answering questions or directing them to the proper department or individual.
- Handle all incoming and outgoing deliveries, including signing for them, calling for pickup, confirming delivery and making sure recipients receive their packages.
- Help maintain the appearance of the office, which includes conference rooms, office supply closet and waiting room.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- At least one year of experience as primary/main office assistant
- Current knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive file storage and synchronization service
- Superior writing, proofreading and grammar skills
- Bachelor’s or associate degree
- Able to easily lift, push or pull at least 25 pounds