Use this professional created Data Entry Clerk job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Data entry clerks gather, look over and enter data for the benefit of customers and their fellow team members. Examples of data they work with include funding requests and purchase orders. Additional duties consist of researching sources of data and ensuring data logs are accurate. They also use various mediums, such as cards, digital storage devices and paper, to complete their jobs.
Your data entry clerk job description should mention the fact that you desire candidates who have a high school diploma or its equivalent, as well as someone able to work alone and meet deadlines. Another essential quality is prioritizing tasks.
Computer skills are essential for data entry clerks, as is the ability to carry out multiple tasks at once. Finally, clerks should be proactive in their duties.
Data Entry Clerk Job Description Template
If you are meticulous, detail-oriented, and ready to put your skills to use in a fun environment full of challenges and opportunities for advancement, we want you to join our team as a data entry clerk. You will be responsible for collecting, reviewing, and entering data from various sources to support both customers and team members in completing our company’s mission. We value every employee and provide opportunities for you to innovate and implement new procedures, as well as advance your career through special assignments and promotions. You will network with various department heads and utilize a variety of off-the-shelf and proprietary software programs. Join us and use your critical thinking and exceptional computer skills in an engaging, team-oriented office.
- Compile, read, sort, and process source data, such as purchase orders, funding requests, canceled checks, and sales reports and enter relevant data into correct fields quickly and accurately.
- Research data sources as necessary to verify accuracy and completeness of information and proactively seek additional sources when necessary to meet data entry requirements.
- Review previously cataloged data for errors during weekly reviews by comparing with source data and modifying fields as needed to fix errors or supply omitted information.
- Maintain detailed and accurate logs of daily work, including a list of source material, the quantitative amount of information entered, reports of any errors or inaccuracies, and recommended modifications to goals.
- Locate primary and secondary data sources as needed to form a complete informational picture of each assignment, including researching files of physical and digital data as well as communicating directly with managers and peers.
- Use various machines to access, display, and write data using paper, cards, disks, tape, or digital storage devices to complete daily tasks.
- Communicate effectively with managers and colleagues to clarify work assignments, resolve issues, and turn in completed assignments.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent, plus ability to complete on-the-job training
- Excellent computer skills, including accurate 10-key typing, minimum 45 wpm, and experience with Microsoft Office and Peoplesoft
- Ability to be proactive and work independently to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail with multitasking and prioritization skills
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Previous relevant work experience