Use this professional created Internal Auditor job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Generally speaking, internal auditors aim to better a company’s operations by assessing and improving control, risk management, and governance processes.
Professionals who hold this job title may work across any number of industries, but for the most part, they are part of the accounting and finance realm. As a member of this department, they check for fund mismanagement and work to identify and execute on processes for getting rid of waste and fraud.
To attract top-performing hires to your company, it’s essential to write an internal auditor job description that accurately calls for the skills and qualifications relevant to this field. Namely, you’ll want to individuals who have fine-tuned business acumen, excellent analytical and communication skills, and sound knowledge of regulatory requirements.
Perhaps most importantly, your internal auditor job description should call for some sort of certification. Depending on your needs, you may demand a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or even a Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA).
Internal Auditor Job Description Template
Calling all internal auditors with an eagle eye for catching discrepancies, errors and compliance issues to take the next step in their career. As our company’s internal auditor, we’ll depend on you to make sure we adhere to the latest procedures and policies related to our industry. You’ll be tasked with reviewing and updating our loan processing system and looking into credit disputes. The leaders of our company rely on you and your professional opinion to improve our services and capabilities all while ensuring there aren’t any red flags in our business practices. Allow us to provide you with an enjoyable work environment and a place where you know for a fact your opinion and knowledge are valued.
- Gather and review internal financial and related data bimonthly to identify redundancies, non-compliance issues, signs of fraud and efficiency issues in accounting systems, account books and company financial records.
- Create in-depth weekly reports to present at meetings and distribute to all necessary parties and personnel.
- Make recommendations on financial actions as needed to keep the company in full compliance and to improve business activities and general operations.
- Create new audit programs and review current ones for updates and necessary changes as the situation allows.
- Draft, examine and verify all yearly financial and tax reports at the beginning of the year to ensure the company is in good financial health.
- Look over company inventory on a weekly basis for discrepancies and accuracy.
- Manage, initiate and suggest corrective actions with the proper personnel, managers and company leaders when necessary to keep ahead of problems and the resulting fallout.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Concrete comprehension of all necessary internal controls, programs and systems
- Proficient in data analytics and office software (both Microsoft Office and Google Drive)
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- At least two years of professional experience in accounting, finance or auditing