Use this professional created Controller job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Controllers prepare financial reports that forecast the organization’s finances. They collect and study balance sheets, income statements, and future earnings analyses. Controllers also prepare reports for governmental agencies. Generally, controllers oversee the organization’s departments of accounting, budgeting, and auditing.
An ideal controller possesses strong analytical skills because he or she makes consequential decisions that affect an organization. Strong organizational skills are also desirable because a controller deals with complex data and documents.
Additionally, strong math skills must be included in an effective controller job description. Controllers should have strong proficiency in algebraic formulas and international finance. Due to the fact that people in this position must justify complex transactions, strong communication skills are necessary.
Controller Job Description Template
If you are searching for a leadership position with opportunities for challenges and professional development, this controller position may be a good fit for you. You will lead our accounting team in producing accurate financial processes and records. The controller position is an excellent opportunity for someone who is detail-oriented and knowledgeable in various accounting topics. Develop your leadership skills by supervising several departments, including our accounts payable, accounts receivable, asset management and special project accounting. In this position, you can make an essential contribution to meeting and developing our company’s financial goals as the controller plays a key role in our company and entails a high degree of independent judgement and responsibility.
- Oversee the company’s budget and ensure that financial goals are met by compiling monthly financial reports and reconciling financial information and ledger accounts.
- Supervise accounting departments; ensure that correct processes are followed at all times, promptly identify and troubleshoot errors or other problems, and provide leadership and guidance.
- Manage accounting staff, including personnel decisions, department structuring and training.
- Analyze financial information, make accurate forecasts and recommendations as to future financial decisions.
- Establish and implement procedures for all processes within the accounting departments; ensure employee familiarity through training, manuals and other materials.
- Ensure that accounts payable are managed correctly and that invoices and payments are processed promptly; regularly review ledger activity and ensure complete accuracy.
- Manage taxation issues, including the preparation of yearly tax returns; facilitate audits, including the preparation of audit reports, schedules and requests.
- Ensure that financial and accounting procedures are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including the establishment of internal controls and appropriate training and documentation; implement, maintain and upgrade financial systems.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- CPA designation
- 10+ years of accounting experience
- Human resources experience
- Business management experience
- Knowledge of business and tax law