Use this professional created Accounting Manager job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Accounting managers develop and implement strategies that sustain both the finances and the financial departments of their companies. They compose and enforce company-wide budgets and provide advice to struggling divisions. They also supervise other accountants and provide them with ongoing training and feedback.
Because small errors can cause huge problems in this field, organization and attention to detail are two of the most critical competency areas for accounting managers. Candidates must understand your company’s long- and short-term financial goals and be able to develop plans for meeting these goals.
In addition to these more general traits, your accounting manager job description should also include some specific training and knowledge requirements. Candidates should be CPA designated and be thoroughly educated on tax laws. They must also be proficient with accounting-specific software and have experience or training in management and leadership.
Accounting Manager Job Description Template
This Accounting Manager position presents an exciting opportunity to take on a leadership role in our company. Put your accounting experience and knowledge to use while developing strategies for team motivation and optimal results. If you are detail-oriented and extroverted, this management role can give you the chance to fully develop your interests and talents not only with mathematics and finances but business management as well. You will play an essential role in the success of our business by ensuring that we are in good financial shape. This position comes with the potential for further career development as well as interesting and satisfying professional challenges and benefits.
- Supervise and manage accounting department staff, which includes setting goals, developing processes, and providing guidance and constructive performance assessment.
- Manage general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, and project accounting; ensure that all invoices and transactions are entered in a prompt and accurate manner.
- Review and reconcile financial statements on a monthly basis; ensure that records are complete, accurate and up-to-date.
- Provide accounting support to other departments as needed; prepare operating and personnel budgets for operations approval.
- Monitor budget adherence, make recommendations for changes as necessary, and advise as to the best course of action in order to continue to meet budget goals.
- Liaise with customers, vendors and other third parties to ensure that payments are made and received in a timely manner.
- Work with government agencies and external accountants to ensure compliance with applicable regulations including reporting requirements, proper record-keeping and the establishment of internal controls.
- Develop and implement accounting systems and procedures to ensure maximal accuracy.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business
- At least 10 years of accounting and/or financial experience
- Strong leadership experience and skills
- Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills
- CPA designation
- ERP AP system knowledge