Jobs in Janesville, WI
- 50,616 Resumes
- 4,081 Jobs Available
- 64,009 Population
- $50,000 Average Salary
Forty miles southeast of Madison sits Janesville, Wisconsin, which is located in Rock County. As you look for jobs in Janesville, you have to learn more about the economics of the area. Following you will find a brief look at the job market, career tips and salary information.
The job market in Rock County is worse than the state average, but better than the national average. The state unemployment rate of Wisconsin is 4.2 percent, the national unemployment rate is 5.3 percent, and the unemployment rate of the county is 5.0 percent. The top performing industries in the area are information, education and health services, leisure and hospitality, financial activities and manufacturing. These industries have grown by an average of 6.1 percent in the last year. The largest occupation in the Janesville area is food preparation and serving workers closely followed by retail salesperson. The average weekly salary in Rock County is $682, which is significantly lower than the average weekly salary of the United States, which is $1,048.
Your resume is one of your most critical job search tools. Use these tips to create something that will set you apart from the other candidates:
1. Only include sports on your resume if you are a recent grad or still in college, otherwise keep hobbies off of the resume.
2. List your most relevant section first, so if your education is the best thing about your experience that should go first or if your experience is the most impressive that should go first.
3. Try to include information that is important to the employer, which means that you should revamp your resume each time you apply for a new position.
4. Use the reverse chronological order for your experience so that hiring managers see your most impressive and relevant experience first.
5. Use white space, headers, bullet points and the table tool to create a reader-friendly document.
Finding jobs in Janesville and the rest of the country is about persistence, taking the right actions and knowing where to look. This can be a difficult process, so you should follow these tips to make it slightly easier.
1. Prepare yourself. The job search tends to take a while, so you need to prepare yourself for that fact. You should also use this early time to get yourself organized. This will help you keep track of where you have applied to, who you’ve heard back from and who you should keep contacting.
2. Focus on your professional self. While you’re looking for jobs in Janesville, it is important that you continuously focus on yourself professionally. This means that whenever you contact potential employers you should do so in a professional way, but it also means that even your social media should scream professionalism.
3. Keep your eye out for opportunities. You can no longer reply to job postings as your only way of looking for jobs. Now you have to send cold resumes, go to job fairs and talk with people in your network to get a better idea of job opportunities.
4. Be open minded. Many jobseekers have a specific position or profession in mind, but with a tougher job market you have to keep your mind open. Consider broadening your search.
5. Stay persistent. After your initial contact, an interview or any other type of contact with a potential employer, keep the communication going. This persistence can help set you apart from your peers, shows the hiring manager that you truly want the job and keeps you in the mind of the hiring manager.