Jobs in Jamestown, NY
- 170,015 Resumes
- 1,184 Jobs Available
- 30,429 Population
- $56,000 Average Salary
Jamestown, NY, is the largest population center of Chataqua County. Just seventeen miles from the educational Chataqua Institution, Jamestown has in recent years been the location of a successful urban renewal project. The local James Prendergast Library has regularly ranked in the top ten libraries of its size in the nation. This information will give you an idea of the general economic climate in the area, making it easier for you to find jobs in Jamestown.
There is no economic data on Chataqua County. The nearest statistical area is the Buffalo area. In the Buffalo area, unemployment has dropped over twelve months, from 5.4 percent to 4.8 percent. It is now lower than the US average unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The biggest sectors of employment in the area are trade, transportation, and utilities, followed by education and health services. The most frequently found workers of jobs in Jamestown are retail salespersons, followed by cashiers. The average weekly wage of $868 that can be found in the Buffalo area is lower than the US average weekly wage of $1,048.
If you want to stand out from the other applicants for jobs in Jamestown, you are going to need a very impressive resume. A huge part of a resume has to do with the way it is formatted. These tips are expert-advised practices that will really help you enhance your resume.
1. Try to avoid going over two pages with your resume. Most resumes can fit onto one page, but if you have more than 15 years of experience, it’s probably a good idea to use a second page to go into enough detail.
2. Make sure to always include contact information. The information needed will be you name, current city and state, a phone number, and email address.
3. List your experience information separately for each different employer or experience. These sections should have five to eight bullet points and proceed in reverse chronological order.
4. Think about the things that really make you an outstanding candidate. You want to highlight accomplishments throughout your resume. If you have three or more, make a separate section to further emphasize these.
5. Keep information in your resume relevant. Don’t list a job from twenty years ago that has nothing to do with the current one. Avoid listing hobbies and interests unless they demonstrate some kind of training or other qualification.
As you look for jobs in Jamestown, there are certain skills that will increase your likelihood of success. If you are in need of strategies to help you get work, you will find what you’re looking for with these tips:
1. Read professional journals relevant to the field you’re applying to work in. Not only will you be prepared and up to date with the latest knowledge about your industry, you’ll be getting an idea of what will be required of you in various jobs.
2. Don’t let your research just be general. Look into a potential employer before you sign on to work with them.
3. Another great way to get information about potential employers is to set up an informational interview in person, where you are the one asking the questions. This is a great way to get your face in the picture and will allow you to get the best idea of what’s going on.
4. There are various job fairs where employers come to talk about their organizations and collect resumes from potential candidates. Some will even interview you on the spot.
5. Look for jobs in databases. There are online job banks and listings, as well as newspaper ads. Check every resource available to you.