Jobs in Jacksonville, NC
- 121,225 Resumes
- 8,827 Jobs Available
- 69,047 Population
- $52,000 Average Salary
Jacksonville, North Carolina, a city in Onslow County, was ranked as the fifth fastest-growing small city in the US by Forbes magazine in 2014. This is partially attributed to the large military presence. However, as you search for jobs in Jacksonville you have to learn more about the job market than the demographic layout of the city. This guide will give you an insight into the job market while giving you helpful job tips related to the job search.
The recent job growth in the Jacksonville area has been positive even though the unemployment rate is slightly higher than the national average. In Jacksonville the unemployment rate is 5.9 percent while in the nation it is 5.3 percent. The industries that have seen the most growth recently include transportation, sales, office support, food service and personal care. The largest occupation in Jacksonville is food preparers and servers. The average weekly wage in Jacksonville is less than the nation’s average, but the cost of living is also less. Jacksonville averages at $611 while the country averages at $1,048.
As you keep searching for jobs in Jacksonville, you will come to realize just how important your resume is. Follow these tips to create a better looking and more successful resume:
1. Avoid using personal pronouns throughout your resume as it can create clutter.
2. List important job information: job title, employer, location of company and dates of employment.
3. Use whitespace, bullet points and the table tool in order to create a readable, professional document.
4. Include quantifiable data whenever possible in order to give a clearer picture of your accomplishments.
5. Avoid including any information that is too personal, such as political ties, religious views, hobbies, family information and any controversial information.
No matter what industry you are trying to find a job in or where you live, you have to know what to do. Follow these five steps to get a better idea of what you can do to find jobs in Jacksonville:
1. Use your network. Talk with people you know well and people you are simply acquainted with to get a better idea of job opportunities.
2. Conduct informational interviews. If you’re new to the workforce or looking to change industries, an informational interview can help educate you on what would be expected of you as an employee. This type of interview can help you figure out what employers are looking for and what information you should highlight on your resume.
3. Focus on social media. Your social media presence may be able to help you find a job. If you use Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn as a way to showcase your experience, skills and personality traits, you may look like a stronger candidate to hiring managers.
4. Highlight your skills differently. As you talk with potential employers, you can showcase your skills through stories rather than just listing off what you can do. On your resume you should try to use accomplishments rather than just day-to-day tasks.
5. Look everywhere. Sometimes you have to get creative in order to find a job opportunity. Look on online job postings, in newspapers and on companies’ websites, but also go to job fairs, go to local libraries and keep your eye peeled for any opportunities.