If you are hired for a job, the interviewer will most likely be interacting with you quite frequently. As such, it would be beneficial to get to know you beforehand. Considering this, it is easy to see how “What do you like to do for fun” is a common interview question.
However, that is not the only reason interviewers make this inquiry. They are also trying to gauge if you will fit in the company culture. Certain personalities work best for different companies, and in an effort to secure the best person for a job, it would be in the interviewer’s interest to select an individual that would be able to join the team easily. It is your job to present yourself as that person.
Points to Emphasize
There is not one special way the interviewer is expecting you to answer this question, because all people are different. However, there are a few points that you should emphasize, no matter what your interests are.
- Answer the questions honestly.
- If you have several different interest, focus on a few that you enjoy or partake in the most.
- If you hold any leadership positions or have won any awards from your hobbies, mention them.
- Show enthusiasm in your interests to engage the interviewer.
Keep it simple, and make sure that your answer is truthful and clear.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
As with the things that you should do, there are a few things that you want to avoid doing as well.
- Do not make up any hobbies to impress the interviewer.
- Stay away from mentioning any activities that could be frowned upon or reason for worry (partying, drinking, clubbing, etc.).
- Even if you do not have many hobbies, do not try to breeze over the question.
- Do not mention things that you do not like to do.
Keep your answer positive and sincere, and you will do fine.
A good answer to questions about what you enjoy doing for fun might sound like this:
For fun, I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends. Whether we are making dinner and watching movies, going thrift shopping or grabbing a quick lunch, as long as I am amongst great company with good conversation, I am happy. I also love to sing and I stay active by exercising and participating on a local basketball team.
Feel free to be honest with this answer and share your interest; however, to an extent you still want to keep it professional.