1. Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.
2. Describe an instance when you had to think on your feet to extricate yourself from a difficult situation.
3. Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.
4. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills.
5. Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.
6. Describe a time when you had to use your written communication skills to get an important point across.
7. Give me a specific occasion in which you conformed to a policy with which you did not agree.
8. Give me an example of an important goal which you had set in the past and tell me about your success in reaching it.
9. Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.
10. Give me an example of a time when you were able to successfully communicate with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa).
11. Sometimes it’s easy to get in “over your head.” Describe a situation where you had to request help or assistance on a project or assignment.
12. Tell of a time when you worked with a colleague who was not completing his or her share of the work. Who, if anyone, did you tell or talk to about it? Did the manager take any steps to correct your colleague? Did you agree or disagree with the manager’s actions?
13. Describe a situation in which you had to arrive at a compromise or guide others to a compromise.
14. What steps do you follow to study a problem before making a decision.
15. We can sometimes identify a small problem and fix it before it becomes a major problem. Give an example(s) of how you have done this.
16. In a supervisory or group leader role, have you ever had to discipline or counsel an employee or group member? What was the nature of the discipline? What steps did you take? How did that make you feel? How did you prepare yourself?
17. Recall a time from your work experience when your manager or supervisor was unavailable and a problem arose. What was the nature of the problem? How did you handle that situation? How did that make you feel?
18. Recall a time when you were assigned what you considered to be a complex project. Specifically, what steps did you take to prepare for and finish the project? Were you happy with the outcome? What one step would you have done differently if given the chance?
19. Tell of some situations in which you have had to adjust quickly to changes over which you had no control. What was the impact of the change on you?
20. Describe some times when you were not very satisfied or pleased with your performance. What did you do about it?