Along with wanting to know if you are reliable, the interviewer is also trying to gauge how serious you are about the position. Hiring managers want to know that you have put just as much thought, if not more, into how you will be able to completely fulfill the position as they have.
Points to Emphasize
There are a few points that you should be sure to emphasize when answering this question:
- Answer the question full on, by first stating your ability to be on time.
- Indicate how you plan to be on time.
- Express how timeliness is important to you.
- Leave no room for doubt by addressing any possible questions about your transportation before they are asked.
Remember, though this may sound like a simple yes or no question, there are underlying inquiries that if addressed head on can limit any doubt.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Though it may be hard to believe, there are ways that you could hinder your chances of getting the job by mishandling this question. Below are a few mistakes to avoid.
- Do not try to breeze by this question with a one word answer; it could make you seem uncaring or as if you haven’t given it much thought.
- Do not hesitate in answering this question; it could make you seem untruthful.
- If you have had issues with timeliness in the past, do not mention it, even if you have overcome that issue.
- Do not think too hard and create elaborate situations that could prevent you from getting to work on time.
In properly answering questions about you being at work on time, your answer could go like this:
I will not have any issues with getting to work on time. I pride myself in being on time, so I would make sure that I have proper transportation. Though I do plan to utilize my car, if anything were to happen to it I am comfortable utilizing the bus and train system, and on my way in I noticed that there is a bus station a block from the building.
Make sure that your answer shows a commitment to you being on time, as well as proper foresight.