When asking this question, interviewers are really asking what your future plans are concerning your career. They want to gauge how passionate you are about career advancement. Those with a plan are more likely to be viewed as quality candidates. Considering this, it is important that you answer this question properly.
Points to Emphasize
There are a few points that you will want to emphasize in properly answering this question.
- Clearly state what your next step would be in your career.
- Detail how you would see your career going for you to get to that point.
- Be sure to incorporate the job you are applying for in your plan.
- Show understanding for the possibility of things not happening exactly how you would plan and demonstrate flexibility in your plans.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Along with things to include, there are a few things to exclude and mistakes to avoid in answering this question.
- Do not give a vague answer to this question; it could appear that you have low to no career drive.
- Stay away from sharing answers that do not provide a clear connection to the job you are applying for.
- Even if you do not plan to stay with the company, do not share this or anything that would indicate such in your answer.
- Do not give an answer that would make it seem that you plan to stay in your same position.
A great answer to this question could be similar to this:
If my job progresses as I like, my next step would be to become the general manager of a retail store. With my business management degree, along with my love for and gift in fashion, I have been able to climb the ladder over the years. I started off as a sales associate and have grown to become a shift manager. I believe that my experienced, education and natural gifting would help me to excel in such a position, which is why I am so excited about this position.
Ensure that your answer is intelligible and shows consideration, as well as draws a connection between your career path and job you are applying for.