During a job interview, an applicant may ask you a question like, “How does the company make use of technology for internal communication and outside marketing”
An applicant may ask this question to see if he is familiar with the particular technology that the company uses. He may also want to see how streamlined the company is in its technological communication. This question is particularly valuable to anyone who is applying for a marketing position, as the communication style will impact how he markets any products or services to clients.
Points to Emphasize
When you answer this question you’ll want to be as thorough as possible.
- List certain technologies that the company uses, such as Outlook, G-Chat or videoconferencing.
- Let the applicant know how these particular technologies aid in communication and how they could factor into the applicant’s job.
- Let the applicant know how knowledgeable he has to be about certain technologies or if there is training on the job.
- Mention any changes in technology that the company is planning to implement soon.
Technological communication is important for many industries, so you’ll want to let the applicant know how important it is for yours.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
You may not be prepared to answer this question if you haven’t thought about your response ahead of time. Follow these general guidelines to avoid potential mistakes:
- Don’t go into detail about specific technology unless you’re sure the applicant is familiar with it; instead, focus on the role it plays in the company.
- Don’t expand on specific technology without asking if the applicant has already used it, as you may be going into detail about programs he is already familiar with.
- If it is important for the applicant to be familiar with a certain type of technology before starting the job, don’t neglect to tell the applicant.
- Be sure not to mention the importance of specific technology without letting the applicant know what type of training he will receive on the job.
Avoid being either too vague or too detailed in your answer.
A great answer to a question about communication technology in the workplace is as follows:
We use certain programs in order to communicate with each other and with clients. On a daily basis, all employees use internal chat and email, and we use Google drive to share documents with each other. We communicate with our vendors through mostly through telephone correspondence, email, and videoconferencing when appropriate.
An applicant wants to know as much as possible about the job, and this question will help him get a feel for how the company runs.