Just as you want to make sure that a prospective employee is able to accurately self-assess, a candidate may also want to make sure that a company is able to self-assess. When they ask you about potential gaps in personnel, they are trying to get a feel for what is important to the company. Is production, quality or safety important Where you say there is a personnel shortage could tell them. This question will help an interviewee determine if they are a good fit with the company. This helps you in the long run. You want to make sure that you find someone who will be a long-term employee. You can do this by giving the candidates information.
Points to Emphasize
When you answer this question, make sure to emphasize the important points.
- Try to give a realistic assessment of personnel gaps.
- Keep the discussion positive, even though there is a negative aspect to it.
- Think about what the company would do. Try to give an answer that is in line with the company’s goals and values.
- Remember to keep the company’s best interests in mind when you give this answer.
Giving an honest answer to this question will show the candidate what is important to the company. You answer also might help the prospective employee realize how they can be an integral part of the company.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Remember to avoid these pitfalls when you answer the question.
- Do not bad mouth any employees or the company.
- Try not to alienate the candidate with your answer.
- Be careful that you do not give an answer that does not line up with the company’s goals or values. This could give the interviewee an inaccurate impression of the company
- Try not to give an answer that is either too long or too short.
Help yourself by giving an informative answer that will enlighten the candidate about the company.
Here is an example of what a good answer might look like:
One of the most important parts of our company is its interaction with the customer. If we had unlimited funds, I think we would try to add more customer service reps and other employees who help make the customer’s experience a more positive one. Making us a more reliable company for the customer.
Think about what the company would need, and then let the candidate know. This will help you find a prospective employee who will be a long-term fit.